UBOAT, WW2 subsim 4/30/19 on Steam

Started by glen55, April 20, 2019, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 20, 2019, 04:05:18 PM
This has been in development for a loooong time. Glad it is finally rising to the surface.

#:-)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

3 hours and 14 minutes tonight (which I would surely trim down a lot) on my first sandbox campaign. Huw as per request served as radioman, and not only was instrumental in keeping us alive through a hairy situation, but also kept two shot-up crew members alive! (Radiomen start out with medic skill.)

Note to the U-Boot film: trying to pass the Straits of Gibraltar on the Gibraltar side of the Straits, is not a good idea. Nor is creeping along at low diesel speed.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Huw hard at work decoding our first transmission from HQ. (Turns out it's just welcome to the boat, good hunting! -- but he gets 25xp, so yay.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Note: the user interface seems very clogged there, but only because I was playing at 720p in order to make it easier for my terrible upload speed to maybe get a video out later. There's a UI scaling tool in the option menu, although (like everything else in the option menu currently) it cannot be accessed once the game starts. I'll try pulling it down somewhat next time.

Huw the Poo

What can I say?  I am kicker of arse and breaker of heart!  Y'all can write to my press office for signed photographs.  :coolsmiley:

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2019, 09:07:02 PM
There's a UI scaling tool in the option menu, although (like everything else in the option menu currently) it cannot be accessed once the game starts.

I can change the UI scale in game using the Page Up and Page Down keys.

mbar

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2019, 08:58:55 PM
Note to the U-Boot film: trying to pass the Straits of Gibraltar on the Gibraltar side of the Straits, is not a good idea. Nor is creeping along at low diesel speed.

In the U-455 documentary, U-455 had to pass the Straits of Gibraltar by going at night and submerged. Nearly out of air by the time they surfaced.

bboyer66

Tried sandbox again. This time I got far enough along that I actually spotted a lone merchant ship in the Bay of Biscay. But as I was closing in on him, my game crashed again. The good news is that it did not crash my entire computer, just the game itself. So progress is being made.  :bd:

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 03, 2019, 03:05:14 AM
I can change the UI scale in game using the Page Up and Page Down keys.

:o

Quote from: bboyer66 on May 03, 2019, 08:21:29 AM
Tried sandbox again. This time I got far enough along that I actually spotted a lone merchant ship in the Bay of Biscay. But as I was closing in on him, my game crashed again. The good news is that it did not crash my entire computer, just the game itself. So progress is being made.  :bd:

I didn't have crash problems, but two guys got stuck in a mutually exclusive loop at the bottom of a ladder, when I accidentally ordered them both to go repair something. Took some finagling to get them repurposed (one should have been helping juice the diesels with his minions), but I eventually managed. (I'll probably skip past that in my video recap. ;) )

Part of my reward for a hard mission was to double my supply of something I didn't have in supply, so...  :P But I did earn a ton of expense-credit which I'll be putting to good use before our next patrol. Although I accepted my next mission before making upgrades to my boat, so now I apparently can't make those upgrades! -- which is reasonable, but something should be added to clarify why I can't make them. (i.e. I've already accepted my orders so I don't have time for the extensive upgrades.)

The devs need to add docking pilot functionality. I eventually got close enough to my berth for it to count as an automatic teleport-park, but having gotten pretty close already several times and being unable to exactly thread the needle in, I wasted a good amount of time (and scraped the rear of my sub against the dock) before the computer decided I was finally close enough to never mind.  :buck2:

JasonPratt

Quote from: mbar on May 03, 2019, 07:54:32 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on May 02, 2019, 08:58:55 PM

In the U-455 documentary, U-455 had to pass the Straits of Gibraltar by going at night and submerged. Nearly out of air by the time they surfaced.

To be fair, the boat in the film was assigned that mission late in the war, which made things much worse than what I had to deal with. But I'll leave those details to the eventual video summary.

Barthheart

First sandbox mission last night was relocating to Wilhelmshaven... listed as easy... ;)

So passed through the English Channel unchallenged.

Only a couple of hundred kms from port and I'm jumped by 2! British sub hunting planes. Crash dive but they manage to depth charge me and make two holes in the hull in the engine compartment.
Take in lots of water before I can get the compartment sealed off.

Slowly pumping out section by section and sub slowly sinks and comes to rest on the bottom... which is only about 50m deep here.
Battery gauge is telling me that I've got about 3 hrs of charge to run the pump. Air supply gauge is telling me we've get 1 hr of good air left...  :(
I need to get to the rear of the sub to get the compressor going so I can fill the ballasts and float the boat once I've got the water pumped out.
But engine compartment is completely flooded so I need to get in there and fix the holes but some how have forgotten breathers for under water work.

Hatch brilliant plan to open hatch to engine compartment to let enough water out to other compartments where pumps are working so I can fix the holes without breathers.
Except engine compartment is now full of poison gas from batteries being underwater....  #:-)
All hands lost.

Can't wait to get back and try again.  :bd:

No crashes so far.

Jarhead0331

^Wow. That sounds riveting!  :crazy2:

This game will make for fantastic AARs...say, wanna write one for the site?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Despite the issues, this game is sounding rather good. 

My only fear now is, will I have time to play it?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Sure... but maybe one where I don't suffocate everyone.  :buck2:

Barthheart

Quote from: ArizonaTank on May 03, 2019, 10:30:08 AM
Despite the issues, this game is sounding rather good. 

My only fear now is, will I have time to play it?

What I described above took about 2.5 hours to play out and most of the transit time was at fast forward.

So it does take some time to play.