Flashpoint campaigns - Southern Storm (new WW3 game!)

Started by The_Admiral, January 05, 2020, 09:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Just got my Matrix Anniversary coupon - Do I have any chance on using it on Redstorm in the next 30 days? 
Con

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Con on October 16, 2022, 08:54:40 AM
Just curious has there been any talk of incorporating how the present day Russian kit and personnel have performed into the 1980s scenarios?

Honestly I suspect not since I think at this point it would be a NATO walkover if you nerfed the Soviets to their now historically abysmal performance.
Con

While modern-day Russia has fallen to new lows, there's little doubt that the Soviet system was rusting from within and was already in an advanced state of decay from corruption and cronyism when the Iron Curtain fell.  The signs were pretty blatant to any Westerner who could roam freely through that part of the world, and the Eastern Europeans were openly contemptuous of the Russians for being so disorganized (as well as corrupt and brutal).

They couldn't build safe buildings or maintain nuclear reactors or keep train systems running.  And that was all without anybody opposing them, as would have been the case in a real shooting war.

To be sure, the Soviet Army of 1989 would have demolished the Russian Army of 2022.  But that's hardly the gold standard any aspiring regional power should hold themselves to.

WildCatNL

Quote from: Con on October 17, 2022, 09:17:24 PM
Just got my Matrix Anniversary coupon - Do I have any chance on using it on Redstorm in the next 30 days? 
Con

Release date is Nov 17. Not sure if you can pre-order at Matrix.

Con

Ouch. That's tight  might need to go by the hour it's released!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on October 17, 2022, 11:08:35 PM
Quote from: Con on October 16, 2022, 08:54:40 AM
Just curious has there been any talk of incorporating how the present day Russian kit and personnel have performed into the 1980s scenarios?

Honestly I suspect not since I think at this point it would be a NATO walkover if you nerfed the Soviets to their now historically abysmal performance.
Con

While modern-day Russia has fallen to new lows, there's little doubt that the Soviet system was rusting from within and was already in an advanced state of decay from corruption and cronyism when the Iron Curtain fell.  The signs were pretty blatant to any Westerner who could roam freely through that part of the world, and the Eastern Europeans were openly contemptuous of the Russians for being so disorganized (as well as corrupt and brutal).

They couldn't build safe buildings or maintain nuclear reactors or keep train systems running.  And that was all without anybody opposing them, as would have been the case in a real shooting war.

To be sure, the Soviet Army of 1989 would have demolished the Russian Army of 2022.  But that's hardly the gold standard any aspiring regional power should hold themselves to.

In a way, this is a "fantasy" game.

So I'd rather play a game with Red Army of Tom Clancy's "Red Storm Rising," than one with the real Soviet Military depicted by Viktor Belenko in the book "Mig Pilot."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

For me it's the game mechanics which are the main draw - the historical setting is a secondary thing.  Day one purchase.

Grim.Reaper

Pretty cool dev blog on the scenario editor, seems like could provide good tools to encourage a lot of custom stuff

https://www.matrixgames.com/news/flashpoint-campaigns-southern-storm-dev-log-3

nelmsm

I find myself really getting immersed in this one when testing.  It's one of those where you look up and 3 or 4 hours have gone by games.  Can't claim to know if the Commies were really that good back then but we all thought they were so there is the game.

MOS:96B2P

Flashpoint campaigns Southern Storm has been released.  From the Matrix Forum:

Nine years after the release of Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, On Target Simulation returns with a new masterpiece. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is finally available, exclusively on the Matrix Games store. Hundreds of meticulously researched platforms and weapons, detailed orders of battle, and realistic modeling of modern combat, including armor, infantry, helicopters, airpower, and chemical and nuclear weapons, all wrapped up with a new user interface and PBEM++ multiplayer support.

Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm has an innovative WEGO asynchronous turn resolution system which models command friction, and it's set at the height of the Cold War, with the action centered on 1989.

Con

I snuck this one under the wire
Bought it with my 17 year anniversary coupon. Which expired today.
Thank you to Flashpoint for aligning their launch to meet my deadline
Con

ArizonaTank

On hearing of release: "EXCITEMENT...WOW...CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!!!"

On seeing price tag: gulp...OK...it is worth it I am sure...but just don't have the money at the moment...excitement fades...:(
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

Quote from: Father Ted on October 19, 2022, 04:41:16 PM
For me it's the game mechanics which are the main draw - the historical setting is a secondary thing.  Day one purchase.

Whelp that price has given me pause, but I'll probably still go for it.  As I said above, I do find the game-play very good and this new version seems to have added to the experience (rather than just added new units/theatre).  So I know I'm getting something I'll like rather than taking a punt on a new system (eg I'm thinking "Second Front" will be a day one purchase, but could be a let down).

Zulu1966

Wow. That's quite a price. Probably won't be able to resist regardless but do think it's pitched a little high. Some of th changes are nice such as descrete ammo loadouts etc but it is still basically the same game. Part of the value in this would love around community scenarios like CM. But that doesn't seem easy either with regard to different maps.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Grim.Reaper

Yep, surprised by the price as well, largely based on what the prior versions had cost....I would have lost the bet as I would have thought $49 at the most.  Luckily I also have an anniversary coupon I can use, just holding off a few more days until the annual holiday sale kicks off to see if I can grab anything else as well:)