Combat Mission: Red Thunder - Fire and Rubble

Started by al_infierno, February 22, 2020, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2020, 08:32:56 AM
Will this be standalone?

From the article : First Module for Combat Mission Red Thunder.

So I guess not standalone.

Gusington

This would be my first foray into CM. Are these games newb-friendly?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 09, 2020, 09:40:41 AM

OMG. One would think you had not actually been a part of the wargamer/grogheads community for over 20 years.  :pullhair:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

Like ever...............not even the earlier games, wow, that's got to be like a Groghead demarit or something, right.

I like to think of CM games as Close Combat games in the saddle. Right click give orders set waypoints and watch your plan crumble.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on March 09, 2020, 10:46:19 AM
Right click give orders set waypoints and watch your plan crumble.

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

Virginity is curable.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Tripoli

Your penance is to buy all the games and add on modules, and lock yourself in your study playing them until you have played all the scenarios that come packaged with the games.  Now go, and sin no more..... :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Jesus, I was going to admit to all the severed limbs in my basement next, but forget it now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Seriously, if you haven't yet tried Combat Mission, it is well worth your time.  Take a look at some of the videos on this channel.  But put your credit card in a block of ice first:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Y5U7EYn4HO9dCSJsQH0Pg/videos
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

I'm pretty sure the Battlefront website has some free demos you can try out, Gus.  I think the best starting point is Shock Force, since you've got the convenience of modern-day technology and you can just stomp on an irregular/insurgent enemy or an army that's laughably underequipped.  The various NATO scenarios are great for learning the ropes of CM by clearing out towns, hills, etc.

The WW2 games have a tad steeper learning curve given the lack of individual radios and whatnot.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MOS:96B2P

All the games have free demos.  Pick the setting you are most interested in, play the demo(s) and ask any questions you might have.

Toonces

Seriously, I don't think the game is all that hard to learn.  The UI is pretty intuitive, unlike the Steel Armor games.

However, playing the game well defeats me.  I'm more of a CMANO guy than tanks and infantry and what not.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

Quote from: Toonces on March 09, 2020, 04:18:42 PM

However, playing the game well defeats me. 

This is what I was getting at with my comment - the basic "moving and shooting" is about as easy as Close Combat with a bit of extra flexibility, but I find the WW2 CM games much harder to master well enough to even be decent at the more complex missions, whereas I'm at least competent at the early CC games.  Just my $.02
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

stolypin

The aspect of the Combat Mission games that I love the most is the ease of play.  The system totally clicks with me (unlike Graviteam Tactics which I have never managed to grasp) and I will gladly purchase all the new modules Battlefront wants to release.