Imperiums: Greek Wars (successor to Aggressors) (historical pun intended)

Started by JasonPratt, August 01, 2020, 11:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

So, the day before the Steam Sale, I see Imperiums: Greek Wars go on sale.  Get the base game and the Age of Alexander and Rome vs Carthage DLCs for ~$34.  Plus I see they announced a new DLC for next spring:

Imperiums: Rise of Caesar

decisions, decisions, decisions.....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Anguille

rss334

How deep is Imperiums, always thought this was a light version of Civ / 4x .   The building options seemed limited and most of the strategy seemed to be around diplomacy and light combat.   Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

SlagDog

Quote from: rss334 on December 21, 2022, 03:42:07 PM
How deep is Imperiums, always thought this was a light version of Civ / 4x .   The building options seemed limited and most of the strategy seemed to be around diplomacy and light combat.   Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Caveat: I'm a REALLY REALLY new player so take all this will a grain of salt:

I really like the game a lot. On the surface it looks like it might be a sort of budget game with not much going on but BOY HOWDY! That would be wrong. There is a lot to do in the game and lots and lots of decisions to make. It's a slower paced game (maybe because I'm a noob at it). You do not expand fast. You have to really focus on many things all at once which slows the game speed down I think (it is turn based). I'm learning that you really need to know your units, know your terrain and know your enemy before getting into a fight because you will get your arse kicked if you don't! The game gives you lots and lots of information which I really like! The 'civilopedia' or whatever it's called is actually very good! Before I jumped in I watched a view let's plays of it to get a sense of how it plays and it really looked fun. And I'm glad I did. It's really fun. But don't expect anything new in the game. It's a tried and true 4x sort of game. If the time period interests you and you want a slower paced turn based strategy game look it over.

Victor

This is a fun series for sure! In my experience (my last play was with Greek Wars) it's like rss334 said and it's Civ with mechanics focused on what makes sense for antiquity. Do these DLC add new stuff too or is it just new scenarios? The trailer is very vague on the visuals of what's included in the game.

Another good recommendation for antiquity lovers is Hegemony 3: Clash of the Ancients with Eagle King DLC. If you like Grand Tactician Civil War's style of big level strategy then zoom in to focus on the nitty gritty, it's similar, except no separate loading screen for battles, it's all simultaneous with pause.

Gusington

^A few fellers here love Hegemony 3...I think Anguille had a lot of good to say about it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I've got Hegemony 3 on my wishlist.  This game never seems to go on sale.  If Steam is confident enough to never put a sale on that game it must be good. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

rss334

Quote from: W8taminute on December 22, 2022, 08:34:14 AM
I've got Hegemony 3 on my wishlist.  This game never seems to go on sale.  If Steam is confident enough to never put a sale on that game it must be good.

Thanks for the feedback on Imperiums - I can certainly second the recommendation on Hegemony 3, it's a great game with a lot of management aspects, because the map is so large you can quickly find yourself overwhelmed if you expand too fast.  A real challenge on high difficulty too.   Just FYI you can find a better price on CD Keys, a site I've used multiple times over the years without issue.

bobarossa

I got Hegemony 3 at GOG during last year's summer sale for $7.50.  Still haven't installed it. :(

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk