Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Crossroads

Here's a little sneak peek of the game. As per the era covered, there'll be a good few French Indochina War scenarios in addition to early US involvement (and Vietnamese Civil War in between). I am mostly involved at the moment with programming CS Event Engine stuff to Indochina War scenarios by David Galster.

Here's a playtest turn 5 of 15 of Operation Tulipe, kicking of the Hoa Binh campaign (with two scenarios available, this one, and Operation Lotus). Things of note perhaps since CS: Middle East v2.0 

• Recon is key as these battles are not on barren desert anymore. Note the two French recon patrols on left flank, reporting some(?) of the Viet Minh defensive positions out there. (Elevation info visible on hexes to get a better understanding of terrain)
  • Airstrikes of old have been revamped with the new Close Air Support functionality. You can now choose the aircraft and their bomb load per mission. Note the new CAS marker. Using them liberally here
  • The old Artillery fire mission targeting markers with Crosshairs are still there. Now you can properly soften the enemy positions. Note that especially for US and on villages and towns it will not be always that easy though.
  • Toolbars have been revamped with new capabilities as well. As there's quite a few icons now, there's an option for an alternate style grouped toolbar, with only selected icons visible (Engineers, Air, Combat, ...)

This is obviously the 2D side of things, with the Zoom-in view and NATO symbols on chits (can be unit images as well). There's the 3D view still there as well.

Screenshot from my 3440:1440 monitor:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

devoncop

Looks magnificent and very refreshing to see less popular facets of the Indo China war being depicted.

Really looking forward to some pre release AAR's like you did for the CSME  :)

No pressure..... ;)
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Thanks guys. I am planning to write a couple of Dev diaries at some stage, one about how to add Lua files to scenarios, as that's where the CS Event Engine stuff interacting with the game engine resides. Lua files are not mandatory, one can build new scenarios with the full set of Editors just like previously, but events and other Lua code do add some neat capabilities there.

Any other particulars you guys would like to see?

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

To have a countdown towards Campaign Series: Vietnam 1948-1967 of a sorts, we're launching a series of Developer Diaries at our CSLegion.com site.

Here's the first one: Campaign Series Event Engine in Vietnam 1.0 - Triggering Events

Also, I've updated the FAQ section there, have a look.

There's a Weekly Digest email campaign put in place as well, do sign up if interested. Sign-up form is available at our site, or with direct access, here.

:)

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on September 25, 2021, 04:16:17 AM
To have a countdown towards Campaign Series: Vietnam 1948-1967 of a sorts, we're launching a series of Developer Diaries at our CSLegion.com site.

Here's the first one: Campaign Series Event Engine in Vietnam 1.0 - Triggering Events
And here's the other blog series, covering the content available in Vietnam 1948-1967.

Part 1: French Indochina War in Vietnam 1.0 (directs to CSLegion.com).

It all starts rather innocently, with a Company sized jump to Giong Dinh:

Your questions and comments welcome as always :)

devoncop

Good stuff.

Can I assume the first scenario you highlighted is not one of the tutorial (boot camp) ones or am I wrong ?

I love the idea of being able to follow a campaign through in both French Indo China and Vietnam from the initial low level problems with small forces up to serious conflict as the **** hits the fan  :)

Looking forward to seeing lots more on the run up to release.

Crossroads

Quote from: devoncop on October 02, 2021, 05:35:46 AM
Good stuff.

Can I assume the first scenario you highlighted is not one of the tutorial (boot camp) ones or am I wrong ?

I love the idea of being able to follow a campaign through in both French Indo China and Vietnam from the initial low level problems with small forces up to serious conflict as the **** hits the fan  :)

Looking forward to seeing lots more on the run up to release.

Cheers Devoncop, no, the Bootcamp scenarios are clearly named thus. Great fun, too, as Jason's made them not only to show how the engine works but also a quite tough to get a result. Worth a replay, or several, evenm each of them.

Just to be clear about campaigns, these are each individual scenarios here. So a "campaign" would be playing through each of them individually. We need to upgrade the front end code to have the Linked Campaign engine brought up to par, that won't make 1.0 unfortunately. Available in a later UPDATE.

That said, Dien Bien Phu for instance is quite a meat grinder, the French really ended up in the middle of a hornet's nest there...  :knuppel2:

devoncop

Thanks for the clarification.

I was aware the true "campaign" features are still a work in progress for post release but working through the scenarios individually within the context of a major engagement like Dien Bien Phu is great too as it really let's the player grasp the increasingly desperate situation faced by the French on the ground.

Crossroads

I noticed my choice of words in that blog could be interpreted as the scenarios would be linked, "if your command survives" or something like that. I fixed that, just to be sure.

Crossroads

We got our release date assigned: January 20, 2022 it is! So missed the train before the Christmas period, but right after it. How neat!

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Dammit Carl!

devoncop

Straight in the diary  :smitten:

Best of luck with the launch. O0