VICTORIA III - Available now!

Started by CJReich46, May 21, 2021, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 14, 2022, 08:49:00 PM

Without the affectionate sarcasm directed toward the game: it has... period-appropriate kit wars during and past the time period (out to the nominal start for HOI). The Great Powers can get involved in these wars fighting directly against each other naturally. Is it World War I? .....answer unclear, try again later.

To be fair, the 80 years prep (and there wasn't a shorter scenario for it, focusing on WW1's direct setup and execution) naturally tends to diverge so much toward the end of the game period, that it might be difficult to even intentionally set up something recognizable as "World War I". A player can hardly get the ACW and other pre-20th century wars to trigger off recognizably, though the code is ready to recognize something as being those-wars.

And that's because Vicky 2 is a dialectic simulator. 

It's entirely build and designed around a logical, computerized simulation of the Marxist dialectic. 

Consciousness increases until there's a tipping point where the proletariat eventually can't be contained and will, always, overthrow the bourgeoisie and if the player tries to stop that he's in a mess of constant whack a mole on endless horeds of bomb throwing anarchists.

Great wars pop up over and over because everyone's in turmoil and the AI, and even the player can't really control it.

Or at least that was my experience on the builds I played. 

It was a fascinating simulation of unrealistic pure Marxism with the pops making the logical decisions for their class position and utterly devoid of natural emotional impulse.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

No wonder the game always made me so angry!   :2funny:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fabius

There are vids around of the new war system

No doubt, 3 or 4 years and we'll get a WW1 DLC

Edited- though vanilla is never going to be vert WW1 ish from a grog's trench
But paradox modders will shine so long as the game doesn't crash and burn

Grim.Reaper

Release date is October 25rh....

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

I've watched a couple of videos now, and it seems like combat is abstracted. That may be OK because of the deep emphasis on economy, society etc.

But I would like to see at least the same level of combat detail seen in the other Paradox games. Vicky II was fine. Hopefully VIII is at least equal to that.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Quote from: ArizonaTank on August 31, 2022, 01:10:31 PM
I've watched a couple of videos now, and it seems like combat is abstracted. That may be OK because of the deep emphasis on economy, society etc.

But I would like to see at least the same level of combat detail seen in the other Paradox games. Vicky II was fine. Hopefully VIII is at least equal to that.
That is exactly what I had hoped had improved. Everything else did not really need an update.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

^Well, the engine certainly needed updating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

I have heard the combat being more abstracted and not a big part of the game.  Didn't play the other versions, was that the same in those?  Any idea what that means is abstracted, do you have any control over wars at all?

solops

+1
Dumbing combat kills the deal for me. The whole attraction of the period is the post CW to pre WW2 weapons set.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2022, 09:04:54 AM

Didn't play the other versions, was that the same in those?  Any idea what that means is abstracted, do you have any control over wars at all?

No, it wasn't the same in the other versions. 

Combat in prior versions was container army based similar to other paradox titles.  It had a bit of issues with whack a mole, again a common Paradox issue, and it didn't quite handle the transition from movement based army warfare to large frontage combat the way you'd expect a 19th-20th century transitional game to do. 

Rather than work at trying to fix that, they seem to have just totally gone over to the idea that wars are waged on fronts beyond the control of the nation's leader, so you're just assigning numbers and leaders to borders.  It's very macro leadership level, imagining that a Emperor/King/PM/President would have very little say on actual military affairs and would largely leave that up to his assigned generals. 

I'm not sure how popular this approach will be.  It's put me off getting Vicky 3 at release, and that's unfortunate because I was a huge fan of the other titles.

Knowing Paradox they'll likely trash the entire system and totally redo it in a paid DLC or three later.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 01, 2022, 10:33:44 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 01, 2022, 09:04:54 AM

Didn't play the other versions, was that the same in those?  Any idea what that means is abstracted, do you have any control over wars at all?

No, it wasn't the same in the other versions. 

Combat in prior versions was container army based similar to other paradox titles.  It had a bit of issues with whack a mole, again a common Paradox issue, and it didn't quite handle the transition from movement based army warfare to large frontage combat the way you'd expect a 19th-20th century transitional game to do. 

Rather than work at trying to fix that, they seem to have just totally gone over to the idea that wars are waged on fronts beyond the control of the nation's leader, so you're just assigning numbers and leaders to borders.  It's very macro leadership level, imagining that a Emperor/King/PM/President would have very little say on actual military affairs and would largely leave that up to his assigned generals. 

I'm not sure how popular this approach will be.  It's put me off getting Vicky 3 at release, and that's unfortunate because I was a huge fan of the other titles.

Knowing Paradox they'll likely trash the entire system and totally redo it in a paid DLC or three later.

Sounds like it will be a 19th century "Democracy X"...might be interesting, but probably only on first big discount.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Commander Cody

About a year ago I picked up an HOI4 Humble Bundle for about $20 with 3-4 DLC. I did the same for EU4 a few years before that. That's my model for Paradox titles: Wait about 4 years and get the main product and some DLCs for cheap. If I like it a lot, I might buy another DLC or two when it's on sale on Steam.

Homey don't play the $100+ for a functional game game.

EDIT: That said, I do look forward to this. I like the era and got a number of hours out of Vicky2.

Cheers,
CC

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd