VICTORIA III - Available now!

Started by CJReich46, May 21, 2021, 02:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Senex

Quote from: Commander Cody on September 05, 2022, 02:38:45 AM
About a year ago I picked up an HOI4 Humble Bundle for about $20 with 3-4 DLC. I did the same for EU4 a few years before that. That's my model for Paradox titles: Wait about 4 years and get the main product and some DLCs for cheap. If I like it a lot, I might buy another DLC or two when it's on sale on Steam.

Homey don't play the $100+ for a functional game game.

EDIT: That said, I do look forward to this. I like the era and got a number of hours out of Vicky2.

Cheers,
CC

That's been the way to handle Paradox for almost two decades.
I haven't even touched Vicky2 because I'm still wrapped up in Vicky1.

al_infierno

It's coming out in a couple days.  Anyone gonna bite the musketball on this one?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Destraex

Not me I am afraid. I was really keen until I found out they HOI IV ed the combat... i.e. downgraded it from the last one.
I played a little of vicky and loved the economic system and the combat system was not bad but could have really lightened up the game.... I guess I want to see pith helmets total war style with complex vicky economy. I might still pick up Vicky when it comes down in price. Maybe they will upgrade combat in a DLC.

That reminds me. The Pith Helmet is usually depicted as the hat of the silly British who know nothing of how to survive in hot climates. Was the helmet actually any good?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Ian C

Helpful:

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on October 24, 2022, 04:17:58 AM
Not me I am afraid. I was really keen until I found out they HOI IV ed the combat... i.e. downgraded it from the last one.
I played a little of vicky and loved the economic system and the combat system was not bad but could have really lightened up the game.... I guess I want to see pith helmets total war style with complex vicky economy. I might still pick up Vicky when it comes down in price. Maybe they will upgrade combat in a DLC.

That reminds me. The Pith Helmet is usually depicted as the hat of the silly British who know nothing of how to survive in hot climates. Was the helmet actually any good?

Well considering they were wearing leather shakos in europe, I'd say pith helmets would be quit appropriate for tropical climates.  Steel helmets came in during WWI due to the horrendous artillery casualties.  Remember Victorian period was a carry over of the pomp and circumstance of the napoleonics.

Jarhead0331

Not sure what to make of the army and combat system. I'm leaning toward disappointment, but depending on how the rest of the game is structured and balanced out, it might not be too bad.

Also disappointed they decided to make it a steam exclusive and not be available on Game Pass like most other Paradox titles...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

It looks like they took the HOI 4 system a few steps further and removed the little dudes with muskets off the map entirely.  Not sure I like the idea of controlling a "frontline" instead of individual armies.  Makes sense for the WW1 era of the game, but not for Civil War fighting for example.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on October 24, 2022, 02:07:59 PM
It looks like they took the HOI 4 system a few steps further and removed the little dudes with muskets off the map entirely.  Not sure I like the idea of controlling a "frontline" instead of individual armies.  Makes sense for the WW1 era of the game, but not for Civil War fighting for example.

Or colonial and imperial conquest. That is my biggest concern.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Not to worry, maybe Paradox will give natives a +50% combat bonus for "Guerrilla Warfare" and call it a day  ;D

- MengJiao

Ian C

They did do a dev diary on the America Civil War. I'm cautiously optimistic. Again (after Superpower 3).

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-43-the-american-civil-war.1521383/

Grim.Reaper

I guess we'll find out soon in a few hours.  Seems most reviews have been reasonably positive so far, but not sure I can really rely on them as my mind finds it difficult to wrap around.  I pre-ordered it myself, but I fully expect it to be very complicated and something that I'll likely struggle at, but worth a shot.

Old TImer

Working my way through the early tutorial and I have to say I'm a little bit worried.
I'll continue and hopefully it will start to impress but if I had to give my opinion
as it stands I'd say they screwed the pooch.  I still have some time left to refund
and at this point, I might.

al_infierno

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd