Missing a classical style WWI video-wargame

Started by mitra76, February 12, 2012, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Any of you play War Plan Orange? I've been interested in that game since it's release but haven't bought it. Is it hard to get into?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2012, 03:23:52 PM
Any of you play War Plan Orange? I've been interested in that game since it's release but haven't bought it. Is it hard to get into?

I have not played it. IIRC it's a more limited version based on War in the Pacific's engine.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Yes and that's one of the reasons why I am interested in it. Besides the era of course.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

It's fairly intricate but not unplayable.  I'd compare it to Uncommon Valor.  Same engine as WitP but manageable scenarios.
Jim Cobb

LongBlade

I have played through a few initial turns of War in the Pacific.

IMHO the game isn't so complex as to be beyond mere mortals to play. It is simply the same thing across an enormous expanse that is the PTO.

WPO takes place before the advent of air power, so you won't have CAPs and the like to deal with, which will simplify things for you. Probably enough to make it a complex wargame, but not enough to make it overwhelming.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bismarck

No, you have a couple of carriers in WPO and land-based stuff.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Pretty ineffective bombers deHavlin DH-4s, etc.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Bismarck on February 13, 2012, 09:03:19 PM
Pretty ineffective bombers deHavlin DH-4s, etc.

The Martin bombers were good enough to sink the SMS Ostfriesland (remember Jimmy Dolittle?) and
there were torpedo bombers being developed in the late 20s that could have sunk capital ships. My
understanding of WPO is that if you train your aircrews mercilessly they will become effective antiship
weapons. My actual experience with the game is limited however.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

So 1920s era bombers are capable of sinking capital ships in this?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

If they are lucky and well trained. Especially the torp bombers. The AA was primitive on those ships at the time, mostly MGs.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on February 13, 2012, 09:49:03 PM
Very cool!

I've played it a bit, and it is indeed very cool. {g} More capital-ship oriented than air-power, as noted, but the air-power is there. But it's easier to manage than in full-bore WitP (even the original version of it, which is what WPO is based on.)

Production management is more simplified, too. Altogether, WPO is somewhat easier to get into than WitP.

There's a recent mod that introduces the German High Seas fleet and more British power, too.

The game isn't terribly buggy either. Most of the improvements that "Tankerace" (the game's designer) was working on, back in 2008 when his harddrive crashed, were OOB.

I'd say it's still the best (pseudo-)WW1 turn-based "operational" strategy game on the market right now. Although the new releases (from HPS, Slitherine and Battlefront) are pushing hard. (WW1Gold is still the best grand strategy game of the war.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ogof

Old thread put good info.
I played Conflict in Vietnam by Microprose on my C64 many years ago.
It is available for free download from an abandobware site.
The game runs in DOS mode.
I have it and works better than on the C64.
Link is...
http://www.myabandonware.com/game/conflict-in-vietnam-7r

Give it a go, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Cheers