reimage for PC repair

Started by Jarhead0331, April 28, 2022, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Does anyone have any experience with or thoughts on this program?

I've done some googling and it appears to be safe and pretty effective...but, it also strikes me as a bit invasive. I'm curious if anyone has use it to help clean up registry and fix other windows errors.

Thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

Scary. The pros do this procedure, but I know not how.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

I don't know anything about this program but if you're looking to just clean up your registry and run some basic diagnostics on your OS I highly recommend CCleaner.

I've been using it for the past 8 or 9 years and it does a good job on cleaning up registries and letting you have better and more intuitive control over your start programs in the task manager.  CCleaner doesn't appear to be invasive either.

https://www.ccleaner.com/
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

There's a free utility that fixes everything..

Go to Run and head to a C: in the DOS commands. 

From there type deltree *.*

I promise you won't have to worry about performance again! 

(don't actually do this)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

88mmkwk

Quote from: W8taminute on April 29, 2022, 08:14:05 AM
I don't know anything about this program but if you're looking to just clean up your registry and run some basic diagnostics on your OS I highly recommend CCleaner.

I've been using it for the past 8 or 9 years and it does a good job on cleaning up registries and letting you have better and more intuitive control over your start programs in the task manager.  CCleaner doesn't appear to be invasive either.

I'll drop in another plug for CCleaner.  I've taken time to go through the cookie management feature and save the cookies for web sites that I like/use/trust and then run CCleaner Clean function to delete all others.  By saving the list of sites I use, over time the excepted cookie list now reflects my web browsing habits and all other cookies, trackers and intrusive web garbage gets deleted every time I run CCleaner (at least weekly).  This keeps my system running fast and it hasn't dogged down over the years.... Highly recommended if you take time to build the list of accepted web sites in the cookie management function within CCleaner.....
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

Pete Dero

Quote from: 88mmkwk on April 29, 2022, 12:03:23 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 29, 2022, 08:14:05 AM

I'll drop in another plug for CCleaner.  I've taken time to go through the cookie management feature and save the cookies for web sites that I like/use/trust and then run CCleaner Clean function to delete all others.  By saving the list of sites I use, over time the excepted cookie list now reflects my web browsing habits and all other cookies, trackers and intrusive web garbage gets deleted every time I run CCleaner (at least weekly).  This keeps my system running fast and it hasn't dogged down over the years.... Highly recommended if you take time to build the list of accepted web sites in the cookie management function within CCleaner.....

For me that cookie management is also one of the reasons I use CCleaner.

But the program Reimage seems to do much more than clean your registry and manage your cookies :

The repair process removes and replaces damaged files found during the scan.
During repair, Reimage not only removes damage, but also reverses the damage done to your Windows OS by replacing corrupted and deleted files with fresh Windows files and components from our continuously updated online database. Your PC's performance, stability and security will be restored and improved.

I don't like to give that much power to software and I even wonder if there is much need for such features.  Couldn't a System Restore when you encounter problems do the same ?

steve58

Never used reimage, but also throwing in a +1 for ccleaner.

fyi: Windows comes with a free repair tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

Just going to throw this suggestion in as well.  Whenever you start messing around with Windows files/tools, always make sure you backup your important files first!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

A system restore will indeed make your pc run smooth again as it did on day one.  It would be advisable though to regularly back up your important files before a system restore. 

I don't tend to put too many important files on my computer and keep a lot of my records in paper form to a) avoid losing data due to pc failure, hacks, data corruption, etc. and b) so that while I sleep at night my computer isn't selling my personal information to the highest nefarious bidder. 

Am I paranoid?  Probably.  But I value my privacy on financial and other matters.

Yeah, I don't think I'd get reimage for myself. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk