The ultimate sanction against Russia

Started by Uberhaus, July 12, 2022, 06:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uberhaus

Can we play legos, capitalist pig?

Nyet, Russkiy fashist sukin sin. >:D

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62139668

QuoteLego, the Danish toymaking giant, has said it will stop operating in Russia indefinitely due to "continued extensive disruption".

The firm stopped delivering products to Russia in March following the invasion of Ukraine, but its shops remained open as most rival retailers pulled out.

Lego said it would now end its partnership with Inventive Retail Group which runs 81 shops on Lego's behalf.

W8taminute

What's interesting to me is that Russia does not seem to be affected by sanctions from what I'm reading. 

In fact they've created BRICS and in a meeting today in Tehran, Russia and Turkey have agreed to stop using the US dollar in energy transactions.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Whereas, I've been reading that they're being affected by the sanctions, but that this is largely indistinguishable from 'living in Russia' for most people there.

Russian companies, once the pandemic hit, decided to bump up their financial reserves to 6 instead of 3 months. August will be 6 months since the start of the invasion, though the half-anniversary of various sanctions will naturally spread out for some time afterward. It'll be interesting to see how things are going for the nation by then.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 19, 2022, 04:04:03 PM
Whereas, I've been reading that they're being affected by the sanctions, but that this is largely indistinguishable from 'living in Russia' for most people there.

+1, I understand the biggest changes to daily life is the lack of access to many American products.  For example they replaced McDonalds with their own Blyat Burger or whatever, and there's been news reports of the food being moldy and ridden with bugs.  But like you said, this is probably indistinguishable from "living in Russia" except for the fact that the food is coming from a massive fast food chain.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

The blyat burgers are really rotten and infested?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

Don't care.  I now desperately want a Blyat Burger.  They're Suka!

Gusington

I like how the people alluded to in that article are 'outraged' by the quality of the food but the incineration of their next door neighbors is fine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Just another day in the Soviet Union Russia.

- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I think coverage of the sanctions on Russia is hard, because there are two almost completely separate questions, and neither one is offering us a clear view.

• What are the impacts of sanctions on the Russian economy, and how is that affecting consumers in the street?
  • What are the implications of those economic hardships for achieving regime change in Russia?

The first question is obscured by a lack of clear numbers from Russia for months and months now (although the longer Ukraine thread on this forum does feature an interesting, recent article that tries to connect some of those dots).  The second question is even harder because predicting Russian domestic politics was next to freaking impossible, even when we did have a vaguely free press there.

Ultimately, we'll have better answers to the first question.  I don't know that we'll have any answers to the second question until after the fact.