What is Civil War PBEM game that has the best balance?

Started by rwenstrup, July 20, 2022, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rwenstrup

What is Civil War PBEM game that has the best balance? Trying to select a game that my friend and I can play that is well balanced ...
Thanks ...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: rwenstrup on July 20, 2022, 04:48:16 PM
What is Civil War PBEM game that has the best balance? Trying to select a game that my friend and I can play that is well balanced ...
Thanks ...

If your looking for battle/tactical (not strategy), I recommend WDS (Old tiller) games.  I am not an expert in playing PBEM, actually playing my first game against another forum member.  But the amount of scenarios that come with each game provides an option to choose historical, what-ifs, and various use of weather.

Tripoli

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 20, 2022, 04:58:23 PM
Quote from: rwenstrup on July 20, 2022, 04:48:16 PM
Thanks ...

If your looking for battle/tactical (not strategy), I recommend WDS (Old tiller) games.  I am not an expert in playing PBEM, actually playing my first game against another forum member.  But the amount of scenarios that come with each game provides an option to choose historical, what-ifs, and various use of weather.

It really depends on what you are looking for.  I would echo Grim.Reaper and suggest that the WDS series games are good tactical games against a human opponent.  There are an extremely wide variety of battles of various sizes, and the game system is fairly intuitive.  The graphics leave a bit to be desired, though.  You can see my AAR of the First Battle of Kernstown here, if you would like to get a feel for how a game looks: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26294.0 

If you are looking for a good strategic game, then the choices are much more limited, IMHO.  Grigsby's "The War Between the States" is pretty good PBEM game, and is reasonably well balanced.    You could also consider using Vassal and playing some of the better board games, such as GMT's "For the People"  https://www.gmtgames.com/p-853-for-the-people-4th-printing.aspx
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln