The Great War: Western Front

Started by SirAndrewD, August 24, 2022, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I can't wait for this game!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

SirAndrewD

^ +1

Many years ago Dr. Derick Smart promised us Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. was going to be the last thing we ever desired. 

Finally, he has been proven wrong.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Public service announcement: for those who [shudder] pre-ordered...you can now access the full release. I am downloading right now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

^ Already clubbing rats and nursing my trench foot. 

I'm also playing Great War Western Front.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

W8taminute

Well this is terrible.  I'm stuck at work right now and will have to wait.  I guess I'll live vicariously through you guys until I get home. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: W8taminute on March 27, 2023, 01:07:14 PMWell this is terrible.  I'm stuck at work right now and will have to wait. 

That's not stopping me.

W8taminute

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 27, 2023, 01:20:49 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on March 27, 2023, 01:07:14 PMWell this is terrible.  I'm stuck at work right now and will have to wait. 

That's not stopping me.

Oh I know.  I thought of you as I typed my statement above.  If they ever found out I like to post over at Grogs during my working hours, never mind play a video game, I would be dead meat.  LOL

SirAndrewD

There are advantages to reporting only to your CEO that lives across the Atlantic Ocean.

Gusington

My employers have blocked this place on my phone in the last few months :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

There apparently people that have already beaten the main campaign on one side...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on March 27, 2023, 04:08:33 PMProfessional reviewers?

No, reading a few in the Steam Forums, but they seem to be guys that really pushed the demo as far as it can go.

I'm digging into the campaign tonight after refreshing with the tutorial, but it may not be insane that some that have the X's and O's on this down that they can beat it in a few hours. 

The fact that infantry is immune to all but arty and flamethrowers while in a trench is a bit exploitable.  I saw a couple of youtubers that simply didn't connect their trenches and it made it impossible for the AI to damage more than one unit at a time, so they could just grind the enemy out. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

One impression I have...this game is mostly about artillery.

This game heavily revolves on timing arty barrages and putting them just right.  Once you spot an enemy, arty is deadly and laser accurate, more like modern drone assisted strikes, so it's important to quickly master timing and amount of guns. 

Getting used to the arty mechanics and who can and can't take damage in the trench led to me taking Aaras on my first try as the Germans with minimal casualties.

I'm sure it'll get tougher as more tech unlocks, but man, balloons are going to make this a meat grinder for the other side.