Jason Williams Leaving IL-2BOX!

Started by trek, October 25, 2022, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trek

Many rumors on the BOX forum for the last month or so about the absence of Jason. Now we know why:

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

trek

Jarhead0331

I thought the only two constants in life were death and taxes...

Wonder what happened. Hope development continues smoothly and that he lands somewhere nice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 25, 2022, 01:17:54 PM

Wonder what happened. Hope development continues smoothly and that he lands somewhere nice.

He probably finally got fed up with dealing with entitled a-holes.

trek

Well, the Chinese company Tencent bought 1c last November. Box dev 1c-777 is still listed as based in Cyprus on the Box website. I'm wondering if Jason is a victim of the Tencent takeover. Hopefully, politics are also not involved here although I wouldn't rule it out.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: trek on October 25, 2022, 02:59:19 PM
Well, the Chinese company Tencent bought 1c last November. Box dev 1c-777 is still listed as based in Cyprus on the Box website. I'm wondering if Jason is a victim of the Tencent takeover. Hopefully, politics are also not involved here although I wouldn't rule it out.

That's annoying and possibly troubling. I think Tencent own a piece of Paradox too and we've discussed how they have ownership in Epic, as well.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Seems like Tencent owns a slice of everything.  Can we be sure they're not the secret overlords of Grogheads?   ^-^
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: al_infierno on October 25, 2022, 03:08:36 PM
Seems like Tencent owns a slice of everything.  Can we be sure they're not the secret overlords of Grogheads?   ^-^

al_infierno

:2funny:  Ah crap I mean, hail our Tencent overlords!

- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

This comes on the heals of one of the lead Russian devs moving to the west and joining asobo, the team behind MSFS.

I think there's is some stuff at play behind the scenes, but we will have to wait and see.  I was really hoping we could get to the pacific before this franchise ended, but who knows, they could just be restructuring for their next move.

Destraex

I have a stake in the TANKS in il2.
I kinda hope with Jason leaving they focus more on Tanks. Not that I expect anything. He promised to try to get infantry into the tank game as I remember. I am guessing that was probably the whole problem that lead to him moving on.... I wonder what Tencent want from the company, buying the whole lot at once is an interesting move?

I thought il2 was Russian as steam says it's 1C entertainment > 1C game studios which is based in Moscow? I do remember reading a while back they were based in Cyprus though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1C_Company
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

The_Admiral

Guys, let's stop spreading rumors about 1C having been bought by Tencent, my understand is that these are old fake news.

Tencent hasn't bought 1C, or at least the part 1C Gaming Studios (1CGS) is part of. They went for what the media called "the Polish studio" (a.k.a. "1C Entertainment") in the press releases, basically all EU-related publishing & marketing platforms 1C uses - something 1C did well to part with considering what followed. These assets were rebranded as Fulqrum, certainly due to the fact that they severed their obvious link to the original Russian part of the 1C family tree, and because, well, these days it's better not to be Russian.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Company:Fulqrum_Publishing

Old 1C remains what it is - old 1C, and it counts 1CGS as a subsidiary. I can understand that truth shall never get in the way of a good story, but we're better than that, aren't we  ^-^

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Company:1C_Company

At any rate, I can tell you from what I've heard from others is that you'd rather get yourself bought by Tencent or NetEase on a shopping spree than EA or Activision. At least the Chinese don't buy stuff to close it down and reap the IP, or use it as a money-making zombie punch line, or at least not just yet. I don't doubt they'll learn soon enough  #:-)

Cheers

trek

Admiral, you may be right on this and if so I stand corrected. However, I'm not in the habit of spreading "rumors or reading fake news." My source is GamesIndustryBiz.com and several others. They all have one thing in common: That Tencent purchased the Polish Developer 1C Entertainment. They also state that there will  be a rebranding of the name. I can only go by the validity of multiple sources as a bellwether of the truth. At any rate the whole infrastructure of 1C and it's subsidiaries is hard to pin down as to what is happening. I also understand that Poland has imposed sanctions against the founders of 1C and Kapersky Lab and have also blocked their subsidiaries in the country.