Undaunted: Stalingrad

Started by W8taminute, December 13, 2022, 02:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Ok when I first saw this game a while ago I was interested but not enough to buy it.  After watching this review however I'm thinking I need to get this game. 

So anyone here play?  If so what's your take?

By the way, I've been watching that channel for years for all my board gaming desires.  Those guys are good and closely align to my way of thinking.  Well at least for the types of board games I'm interested in.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Geezer

I'd also like to know if anyone has played this and has any thoughts.  Thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Grim.Reaper

Wanted to buy but they didn't make this version solo enabled like their other games.  Would have bought:)

Geezer

Yeah I think the extended campaign would make any kind of solo bot almost impossible to implement.  I've been playing two player games solo most of my life so that doesn't really bother me.  I floated the idea of getting it for Christmas in front of she who shall not be named and there was no reaction, so I might pull the trigger today.  Amazon says I can get it by Christmas.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

bobarossa

Quote from: Geezer on December 20, 2022, 12:07:13 PM
Yeah I think the extended campaign would make any kind of solo bot almost impossible to implement.  I've been playing two player games solo most of my life so that doesn't really bother me.  I floated the idea of getting it for Christmas in front of she who shall not be named and there was no reaction, so I might pull the trigger today.  Amazon says I can get it by Christmas.
Did she have headphones on at the time?

Geezer

Nope.   ;)

The game looks more like a deck builder than a wargame about Stalingrad to me.  Nothing wrong with that, but it might not be what I'm looking for as I'd like more realism.  The campaign does look like a great feature.

Groggy

I have Stalingrad on preorder. I love the Undaunted system and I own the entire series. Not only was I hoping Filip Hartelius, Trevor Benjamin and David Thompson would take the series in the direction of the eastern front, but they also chose one of my favorite WW2 campaign battles. Also it's very cool that Robbie MacNiven wrote the mission briefings. With 15 scenarios this is a meaty wargame and I'm intrigued that the campaign can come to an abrupt end or lead up to a massive final battle.

I posted this over at armchair dragoons about the Undaunted game: I dig the artwork and the modular board tiles. Because the game is easy to set up, there isn't alot holding it back from hitting the table. I like the deck building aspect of the game. I think the two general categories of cards which are command and combat work well into the overall design of the game. By using your platoon command elements like the squad leaders and platoon sergeant, there is a certain compelling factor to the game with having the choice to "bolster" certain elements of your platoon like riflemen, sniper, and machine gunners. I like that the more cards you add to a certain element, the more effective and robust it will be. The sequence of play is very simple so player turns move quickly which keeps the players engaged with the game.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Geezer

W8taminute

Thank you Groggy for sharing.  I'm thinking more and more about getting this game.  Just wish it wasn't so expensive. 

Wishlisted on Amazon for a sale!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Geezer

Ordered from Amazon today.  It will be here tomorrow.  Christmas can't come soon enough!   :)

W8taminute

Quote from: Geezer on December 21, 2022, 03:43:02 PM
Ordered from Amazon today.  It will be here tomorrow.  Christmas can't come soon enough!   :)

Nice!  Let us know what you think after you've spent some time with the game.   :)

Geezer

Geezer

My game arrived a little while ago, as promised.  Delivery took a little over 24 hours.  It certainly passes the heft test, weighing in at 8.4 pounds!  Easily the heaviest game I've ever bought.  I resisted all temptation and wrapped it up for Christmas.

W8taminute

Good job on your will power Geezer.  8.4 pounds is impressive. 

I remember Twilight Imperium 4th edition being quite heavy as well.  I'll have to weigh the my box when I go home later.

Geezer

Got this to the table this afternoon.  Component quality is top notch.  Nice thick terrain tiles, thick counters, and good quality cards.  Rulebook is clear with full color pics.  My only complaint about the components is that some of the artwork bleeds off the edges of the squad and vehicle counters.  it doesn't affect play at all, but I don't know why they didn't either resize some of the artwork or move it slightly on the counters.

Played the first scenario in under an hour including looking up a few things to make sure I was doing it correctly, and also reading the two briefings in the playbooks.  I am playing this solo even though it's really meant to be a two player game.  The main concern with solo play is probably deciding initiative.  I saw where some people do it randomly, but that seemed to me to be suboptimal as you could waste a card that could win you a scenario for initiative if doing it randomly.  So I just chose what looked like the best play for each side and it seemed to go fine.  The Germans got the win, and casualties were surprisingly light on both sides.

The recommendation is to play the first scenario once to learn the rules and then play it again to start the campaign, but I'm going to take this as my start of the campaign since I'm confident I got the rules right.  Next steps include figuring out the next scenario to play based on the German win, take any losses, and do squad upgrades.

It's a fun game for anyone looking for a deck builder with a nod to the history of Stalingrad.  I would not call it a historical simulation in any way, but they are not selling it that way either so that's fine.  Any questions, let me know.