AI Bots - Love Them or Hate Them?

Started by Gusington, December 15, 2022, 08:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2022, 11:44:44 AM
^I've been killed within minutes in Tannenberg with just bots too!

I love the ideas and look of Isonzo but I fear it would be pretty much the same. I'll probably pick it up anyway on discount at some point since I can't resist and have always been fascinated by that WWI front.

The graphic fidelity is definitely better in Izonso.  The gameplay is slightly different, player movement is faster and feels more fluid, on par with most FPS standards.  There's a bit of building stuff like squad / HLL.  Overall it's a nice update to the series, but nothing earth shattering.  Getting it on sale would be the best bet if your going to casual play with bots.

Gusington

Thanks Skoop - will I get killed just as efficiently in Isonzo?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Father Ted

Quote from: Gusington on December 16, 2022, 09:44:38 AM
'I like big bots and I cannot lie?'

I'll see myself out.

You started a whole thread just for that pun? Respect!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

I don't have a problem with bots in FPS games per sae.
I think this thread was started with reference to the thread on WAR OR RIGHTS civil war FPS game.

* Morale - Bots generally don't have morale from what I have seen in other games. A good example is Red Orchestra 2's bots.
* Formations - Bots tend to charge you or form in perfect formations? Now this is not something I am entirely sure of. I just seem to remember in mount and blade warband trying the commander mode and noticing very stale looking uninteresting perfectly formed soldiers. Prussians to the man.
* Bots don't talk to you. Part of the interesting thing in War of Rights is the talking and role playing a lot of the guys do. I am betting a lot of them are re-enactors.

Just knowing that all of the people storming over a bridge are thinking that getting across the other side and forming up is a priority. Knowing they are going to be affected when we start losing men. Knowing they will actually consider retreating if they see too many men get cut down. That they will communicate about their experience and learn from it. That's much better than a bot experience in my book.

Even in chat here you can see the guys communicating as they get the range on the enemy.

The line is not perfect. Men are trying to survive as they fire back currently. Bots would just mill around.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2022, 09:44:43 PM
I like having the option of adding some of them into an MP game to flesh out teams.  Gives cack-handed flailers like me a chance to get a few kills in a round while still keeping things challenging and unpredictable by having some humies on the other team.

I'd like bots in practice areas in games like HLL.  One of the problems in HLL is the roles are pretty fixed and...well if you are me...you have tended to be a "Squad leader (SL)"
(commanding a large fireteam of six actually) too much of the time and you
are really pretty bad with the non-SL weapons like the bazooka or the BAR or machine guns.  If I could get some practice by shooting some sneaky bots I might get better someday, maybe.

fran

When I read AI Bots I was thinking the ones used on websites as customer help.....

al_infierno

Quote from: fran on December 18, 2022, 12:58:49 AM
When I read AI Bots I was thinking the ones used on websites as customer help.....

I would love to shoot them, too.  :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

What are bots? Like having the AI play a nation or something?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

al_infierno

Quote from: solops on December 18, 2022, 02:40:34 PM
What are bots? Like having the AI play a nation or something?

It's usually with regards to shooter games, but yes - it means having the AI fill in for other players.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I wish I could have AI bots fill in for other humans in most aspects of my life.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

You might get what you wish for over the next 10 to 15 years.

Gusington

If I decide I miss actual people, can I revert?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

fran

Quote from: al_infierno on December 18, 2022, 02:23:33 AM
Quote from: fran on December 18, 2022, 12:58:49 AM

I would love to shoot them, too.  :crazy2:

Agree!