Steam Winter Sale 2022: Dec 22 - Jan 5

Started by ArizonaTank, December 20, 2022, 02:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Didn't we all?

I am similar to W8 - I would love to prune my wishlist but then I think...developers count on it in a way. Then I feel badly.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SlagDog

Quote from: W8taminute on December 21, 2022, 11:30:57 AM
It's like, the girl of your dreams that you've been chasing for ages keeps promising we'll go out on a date SoonTM next week I promise.  She keeps saying this over and over again every week.  Eventually that genuine wholesome love interest you had in her turns into FU and SMD then get the hell out of my life I'm done with you.

Games and women: It all makes sense now!  :2funny:

JasonPratt

GoG runs flash sales!

Speaking of, for the next 40ish hours UBOOT is on deep discount to $9. Just left early access, though some features are still planned to be added, and is well worth attention from sub-simmers: runs more stably than the Silent Hunter series, has groggy upgrades in the workshop, full campaign world map with special missions to be accepted, you can walk around your sub managing your crew, or manage the crew by ant-farm cutaway. The one thing it doesn't really have yet is an option for different subs.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

It's actually UBOAT...there is another game called UBOOT too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

The Steam Holidays sale used to give deeper discounts than you could get on those same titles at other points throughout the year.  It's still a good time to find some games newly reduced but it tends to be package deals or games with a sequel coming out in the next few months (e.g., if a new DLC has been released for a game that came out 18 months ago, you can get the original game dirt cheap).

Monopolies are never good for pricing.  Steam provides an excellent client experience, an excellent central repository of patches and mods for many games, and a useful if somewhat predictable reviewer base.  That's why I've kept almost all of my titles on Steam.  I hate to do it, because the cut they take from the game devs (whom I really want to support) and publishers is bigger.  But it's an excellent buyer experience overall and does everything else right.

However, I think it's time for me to vote with my wallet and start building out my Epic collection.  Or at least start toe-dipping and see how I like the client experience using Epic.  If I don't, I can always go back to Steam.

Alternately, Steam can start pricing more aggressively and win my business back that way.  I have no idea how discounts on Steam affect revenue-share with developers and publishers.

Geezer

I don't consider buying anything during the sale unless it's at lest 50% off.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Pete Dero

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 20, 2022, 02:04:06 PM
A few games on my wishlist:

Midnight Suns
Spider Man
Captains of Industry
Empires of the Undergrowth

Among others

Don't check the sale ...

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

rss334

All of these games I've had my eye on for months, seems to have some good deep discounts not available elsewhere.

1) Terminal Conflict (50% off) best price I've seen
2) Slipways
3) Wizards and Warlords
4) Deity Empires
5) Cold Waters although I'm sure I'll never sit down and play it
6) CityState II Maybe?
7) Also very interested in VRC PRO looks like fun - May buy and try with Steams 2 hour refund policy
8) DLC for Imperium's Agressors

Pete Dero

Anguille

Various games from my wishlist with big discounts. Among them Troy and 3 Kingdoms from Total War. Need to think tis well. :dreamer:

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 22, 2022, 01:38:43 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 20, 2022, 02:04:06 PM
A few games on my wishlist:

Midnight Suns
Spider Man
Captains of Industry
Empires of the Undergrowth

Among others

Don't check the sale ...

Midnight Suns  0%
Spider Man  25%
Captains of Industry  10%
Empires of the Undergrowth 10%

Debbie Downer wins again...:(
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Redwolf

DCS Hind 50% off. Really tempting, but I don't know how well I would get along with Petrovich.

CJReich46

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 21, 2022, 04:29:39 PM
GoG runs flash sales!

Speaking of, for the next 40ish hours UBOOT is on deep discount to $9. Just left early access, though some features are still planned to be added, and is well worth attention from sub-simmers: runs more stably than the Silent Hunter series, has groggy upgrades in the workshop, full campaign world map with special missions to be accepted, you can walk around your sub managing your crew, or manage the crew by ant-farm cutaway. The one thing it doesn't really have yet is an option for different subs.

GOG also does giveaways :) That's how I got a few games.  ;D  Ghost of a Tale and Broken Sword: Director's Cut.

HOWEVER, I am planning to get Steam Dwarf Fortress and soundtrack to support the team. Discount or No.

I saw a few games on my wish that were discounted so we'll see. I'm currently playing Fallout 3 (GOTY) on Game Pass.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose