Steam Winter Sale 2022: Dec 22 - Jan 5

Started by ArizonaTank, December 20, 2022, 02:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I had a goodly bit of fun with Troy TW even though the era did not interest me much. Lots of cool campaign mechanics in that game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: rss334 on December 22, 2022, 01:44:32 PM
All of these games I've had my eye on for months, seems to have some good deep discounts not available elsewhere.

1) Terminal Conflict (50% off) best price I've seen
2) Slipways
3) Wizards and Warlords
4) Deity Empires
5) Cold Waters although I'm sure I'll never sit down and play it
6) CityState II Maybe?
7) Also very interested in VRC PRO looks like fun - May buy and try with Steams 2 hour refund policy
8) DLC for Imperium's Agressors

Steam does have a decent inventory of a-couple-years-old cult classics that are nice to pick up on sale.  I did that recently with Interstellar Space: Genesis.  #3 and #4 are both great above, although #4 is a much more polished effort while #3 is brilliant but still in a less polished state to my mind.

None of those 3 titles are on Epic.

KyzBP

I guess I drew first blood.  I picked up:

Wings of Glory (Turn based WWI air combat)
Wartales (RPG)
Axis & Allies 1942 Online.

There may be more, but I have a serious backlog of games.  I retire next week so that should help with the back log.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: KyzBP on December 23, 2022, 08:58:18 AM

Wartales (RPG)

There may be more, but I have a serious backlog of games.  I retire next week so that should help with the back log.

Congrats on the retirement!!! 

I have enjoyed Wartales.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Geezer

...  I retire next week so that should help with the back log.

Congrats!  I've been retired 14 years and still have a backlog!   ;D
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

KyzBP

Thanks Fellas!  I'm looking very forward to some down time. 

Wartales' reviews seem a little mixed but it looks like it has lots of promise.

acctingman

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 23, 2022, 09:53:39 AM

Wartales (RPG)

I've been eyeballing Wartales, but it's still early access and my fear is I'll lose all progress on it.

Congrats on the retirement!!! 

I have enjoyed Wartales.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Congrats on joining the ranks of the Jobless Kyz. It may not be all you're expecting it to be, but it's better than working.  O0  Solasta: Crown of the Magister is calling my name because I'm an AD&D whore and hitting an Orc in the ass with a Magic Missile NEVER gets old.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

joram

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 23, 2022, 12:36:43 PM
Congrats on joining the ranks of the Jobless Kyz. It may not be all you're expecting it to be, but it's better than working.  O0  Solasta: Crown of the Magister is calling my name because I'm an AD&D whore and hitting an Orc in the ass with a Magic Missile NEVER gets old.

I really enjoyed Solasta, it's a tight experience.  Haven't played AD&D in decades but it did a good job of bringing me back. 

CJReich46

Quote from: joram on December 23, 2022, 01:55:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 23, 2022, 12:36:43 PM

I really enjoyed Solasta, it's a tight experience.  Haven't played AD&D in decades but it did a good job of bringing me back.

Ditto. I played it on Game Pass and I'd recommend trying custom dungeons and campaigns too. Solasta also has a Dungeon Master which is a powerful editor to create your own dungeons and campaigns.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Sir Slash

I think I'm sold. Thank you Gentlemen.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on December 21, 2022, 05:21:58 PM
It's actually UBOAT...there is another game called UBOOT too.

In my defense, UBOAT is based heavily on UBOOT-the-film, so I accidentally tend to spell it the German way out of association.

UBOOT-the-game is an application for helping to play the co-op board game.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Well, the pocket of money that my wife gave me for game purchases is all used up.

I certainly purchased a bunch of games that seem very good, but I just don't know when I will have time to play them.

"Expeditions Rome" and "Troy Total War" caught my eye in the end.

On the FPRPG front, I picked up "Elden Ring" and "Spider Man."

On the builder game side, I went for "Empires of the Undergrowth," and "Workers & Resources of the Soviet Republic."

The last one, is not just a Soviet themed builder, but apparently has an emphasis on logistics and supply chains...I really don't need another city builder, but the supply chain element appeals to me. Apparently in this game you can't just pick a "gravel road" off a menu and draw it on the map. You have to get the gravel, machines, fuel etc. to get the work done. Anyway, will see if it works for me or not.

Finally, I decided to roll the dice on a gladiator game that caught my eye: "We Who Are About To Die."

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

My younger bought me Elden Ring. It brought a tear to my eye not just because she 'gets' me, but because the game will kick my ass also.

We Who Are About to Die looks great. Have not heard of Workers & Resources of the Soviet Republic...sounds engaging...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd