Shogun 2 Difficulty

Started by Gusington, February 16, 2012, 10:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetrik

In most cases you have to expand early. But as the Ikko i started building infrastructure. Defended vs the guy to the left and staying friendly with the guy to the right while building a huge fortress and upgrading the smith there. Then i struck south, after allying with Oda. Of course as Oda Ikky must die due to the religion dif.

Gusington

^I did do that and lasted til ~1560. Too many little clans got killed off and because of the religious difference I became public enemy number one. The difficulty for the clan should probably be labeled 'Hard' because of the religious difference.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Fetrik

I was almost certain Ikko was labeled as difficult? heh.. Ahwell like i said earlier they're the only one i been interested enough in to finish a campaign.

For the people looking for a challenge. I was watching a few turns on a lp with Trom (The rights of man). Looked super hard and very fun.

Gusington

Hmm maybe you're right...wouldn't that be a hoot...that I've been playing a 'hard' campaign this whole time without even knowing it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

OK so I'm at ~1565...I have about 40 turns left and after almost being snuffed out, I am on a tear.

I'm basically taking back everything that was taken from me and crushing the Satsume (?) clan that took it from me. But beyond that I know I cannot win, as the Oda are dominant with about 22 regions.

So on the one hand I am happy that my skill level increased and I wasn't snuffed out immediately like I was in my very first campaign. I am also annoyed that I can only act as a spoiler now to bigger clans. It would take a titanic effort with only one truly skilled general to achieve victory conditions by 1575.

Also haven't hit the Realm Divide event as I don't have enough provinces. I probably would if I took back absolutely everything and then took the provinces that are now rebel after seeing the Ikko Ikki kicked out.

It took time but I am finally getting the building dynamic, what is required to build what, how to balance expenses, etc. In this way Shogun 2 is by far the most demanding game of the series. No longer can a player just rely on utilizing game exploits to win while ignoring finances and citizens' happiness. The game demands you stop, think and plan.

With a defeat as the Ikko imminent, I'll need to research what other clans will fit my fondness for turtling. I know some of you guys mentioned a few above. I also don't agree with people that every faction is basically the same...the differences are more subtle than in other total war games but they are there.

With almost 40 hours in (but without a victory yet) I can confidently say that this is now my new favorite game. Not my favorite Total War game (mainly because of nostalgia) but it is excellent in every way. My once floundering hopes for the series are renewed!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Game's really been giving me trouble lately.

I decided to go back and finish my Rise of the Samurai campaign.  I played for a few hours early in the day and then went off to do stuff.  Fired the game up again in the evening and found that I couldn't load my campaign.  All my DLC had disappeared. 

I fired up Steam and verified the game cache.  I'd somehow lost 10 game files which Steam redownloaded.  I fired up the game again, but my DLC stuff was still gone.  rebooted, verified cache again and this time the game worked.  I played for a couple of hours and the same thing happened again the next day when I tried starting up the game.  Went through the same process and found I could play, but after I'd grabbed about 20 provinces and was really on a roll, the game started locking up on me when I ended my turn.  I tried going back to a prior save game, but the game crashes once it tries to process the Kaizoku pirates turn.  Bloody annoying!

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on March 06, 2012, 01:52:14 PM
OK so I'm at ~1565...I have about 40 turns left and after almost being snuffed out, I am on a tear.

I'm basically taking back everything that was taken from me and crushing the Satsume (?) clan that took it from me. But beyond that I know I cannot win, as the Oda are dominant with about 22 regions.

So on the one hand I am happy that my skill level increased and I wasn't snuffed out immediately like I was in my very first campaign. I am also annoyed that I can only act as a spoiler now to bigger clans. It would take a titanic effort with only one truly skilled general to achieve victory conditions by 1575.

Also haven't hit the Realm Divide event as I don't have enough provinces. I probably would if I took back absolutely everything and then took the provinces that are now rebel after seeing the Ikko Ikki kicked out.

It took time but I am finally getting the building dynamic, what is required to build what, how to balance expenses, etc. In this way Shogun 2 is by far the most demanding game of the series. No longer can a player just rely on utilizing game exploits to win while ignoring finances and citizens' happiness. The game demands you stop, think and plan.

With a defeat as the Ikko imminent, I'll need to research what other clans will fit my fondness for turtling. I know some of you guys mentioned a few above. I also don't agree with people that every faction is basically the same...the differences are more subtle than in other total war games but they are there.

With almost 40 hours in (but without a victory yet) I can confidently say that this is now my new favorite game. Not my favorite Total War game (mainly because of nostalgia) but it is excellent in every way. My once floundering hopes for the series are renewed!
Thanks, Gus.  Or should I say "curse you"?  :P 

Between Shogun 2, the release of Legends of Pegasus later this year, and wanting a boxed copy of Crusader Kings 2, I'm seriously starting to realize I may have no choice but to become a Steam whore. 

Damn them. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^Shameful display! However it you've waited this long maybe it's smarter to wait for the S2 Ultimate Edition with Rise of the Samurai, Fall of the Samurai, the main game and all the DLC that is bound to be released in three months?

SDR that's weird. I am biting my tongue here, kinda like everyone does when a pitcher is on a roll with a no-hitter. But needless to say my tech problems with S2 have been minimal.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd