Main Menu

Conflict of Heroes

Started by Bismarck, February 23, 2012, 12:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

Can you Pbem CoH or is it live connect?  Would you want to pbem CoH with all those short action rounds?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Svend Karlson

Quote from: GJK on May 15, 2012, 02:32:28 PM
Can you Pbem CoH or is it live connect?  Would you want to pbem CoH with all those short action rounds?

You cannot play PBEM no, and also no, it couldn't possibly work. Whilst you may have say, 5 turns in a battle, each turn consists of maybe 20 individual rounds of each player taking an individual action with a single unit or group of units, such as move, shoot or rally.

Svend Karlson

I've played 'The Monsters' scenario 5 times now as Germans and lost 5 times.

It is almost like a joke. The initial Soviet forces are numerically superior and I think also have better anti armor attack values, plus they are sited on high ground or in woods. If you somehow overcome that small problem, then and only then you get to deal with the T34s that arrive as reinforcements, which your own tanks pretty much cannot damage unless firing at the flank or rear at close range.

I'd love to hear how anyone has gained a victory on this scenario as the Germans! :D

Bison

Quote from: GJK on May 15, 2012, 02:32:28 PM

GJK the PBEM server is really easy to use.  While you cannot do a traditional PBEM, you can start a game play as much as you want and save the game for you and your opponent to come back to later.  The downside is you do have to be online at the same time.

jomni

For some reason, I find multiplayer to be very tedious because of the alternate moves game mechanics. 
I make a move, my opponent takes a few minutes to do his moves (probably thinking a few moves ahead like chess), then back to me.  I don't think ahead so much.  Some slow loading and waiting. A scenario can last 2 to 3 hours.  I do not have much time in one sitting.  And if we save, there's no guarantee I can meet up for the next round.  :( 

I prefer PBEM anytime but it's just not possible with this game.  Looks like I'll be playing more against the AI here even when I want to play with humans.

Bison

I've been averaging about 1-2 hours for the smaller/mediums scenarios.  But I can see some folks taking a long time to plan and think.

GJK

So it's live play but you can save the game at some state to continue again later.  I think that's common actually but a nice feature to have.  Love my ASL via email.  :-)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

UlrichVonBek

Out of Eight has reviewed the game. Good review allround, the odd concern with the usual suspects i.e graphics, no campaign and AI. Still a great review. I really enjoy it.

"Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! Review
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear!, developed by Academy Games and Western Civilization Software and published by Slitherine and Matrix Games.
The Good: Streamlined rules and a smaller size for relatively quick games, sides alternate moves for constant play and faster reaction, tactical commander points can enhance attack or movement capabilities, action cards grant special abilities, map and scenario editor, choose between classic board game or more computer-specific rules, online multiplayer
The Not So Good: Inconsistent AI, no campaign mode, can't choose starting units on all maps, graphics could be better
What say you? A very approachable wargame with expedited battles and comprehensible rules: 7/8"

LongBlade

I'm not sure what he means by inconsistent AI. In the few games I've played the AI will mulch you unless you're very careful.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

UlrichVonBek

He said somewhere he watched it with FOW turned off it it seemed to have issues doing things and didn't attack fast enough plus got easily distracted etc. However it obviously isn't a game breaker as he marked it high. I'm not concerned anyway. Name a game with a great AI. Probably count them on one hand. Also I like winning ;D

LongBlade

Quote from: UlrichVonBek on May 16, 2012, 11:32:33 AM
He said somewhere he watched it with FOW turned off it it seemed to have issues doing things and didn't attack fast enough plus got easily distracted etc. However it obviously isn't a game breaker as he marked it high. I'm not concerned anyway. Name a game with a great AI. Probably count them on one hand. Also I like winning ;D

If you're looking for fun + weak AI try Warlock ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

UlrichVonBek

I have Warlock and it is great fun.

meadbelly

Quote from: Svend Karlson on May 15, 2012, 03:03:41 PM
I've played 'The Monsters' scenario 5 times now as Germans and lost 5 times.

It is almost like a joke. The initial Soviet forces are numerically superior and I think also have better anti armor attack values, plus they are sited on high ground or in woods. If you somehow overcome that small problem, then and only then you get to deal with the T34s that arrive as reinforcements, which your own tanks pretty much cannot damage unless firing at the flank or rear at close range.

I'd love to hear how anyone has gained a victory on this scenario as the Germans! :D

This was the scenario that practically ended CoH: AtB for me. I have yet to overcome the small problem and get to "deal" with the T-34s, unless "deal" with means getting the snot shot out of my last two tanks.

I have no advice on how to win except to move on to other less imbalanced scenarios. And this is a second reader who'd love to hear how anyone else managed to survive that horror.