I want a turn based space strategy game with land combat now!!!

Started by W8taminute, February 23, 2012, 04:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Ok here's the deal.

I'm really in the mood to have The Games Workshop make a turn based galactic conquest game for the PC.  I dream of running manufactorum throughout the galaxy whilst shuffling around fleets and landing Astartes on planets' surfaces.  Why can't someone make a game like this?

I'm so sick of only have real time chapter driven story driven nonsense shoved at me that the media calls strategy games.  How cool would it be to monitor monthly production, assign assets to units, then ship them off to conquer Orks?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

Your sentiments echo those of a million space 4x gamers before you, my friend.  We've been waiting for a space strategy title with a decent land combat model for years now!  It's one of the Holy Grails of the sub-genre. 

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2012, 04:20:21 PM
Have you tried Star Wars: Empire at War?
It's not quite what I want (too linear), but it admittedly comes closer than most other games I've played. 

The ground combat in Imperium Galactica II: Alliances is about the only other one (at least that I've personally played) that approaches what I'd like to see. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Well, Emperor of the Fading Suns was superb...but it is, admittedly getting quite dated.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Doh!  Although its fairly basic, Armada 2526 has land combat too...

...and, I really enjoy the ground combat aspect of a modded MOOIII.  I feel that it offers most of what I always looked for in a futuristic 4x game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Steelgrave

Quote from: W8taminute on February 23, 2012, 04:09:15 PM
Ok here's the deal.

I'm really in the mood to have The Games Workshop make a turn based galactic conquest game for the PC.  I dream of running manufactorum throughout the galaxy whilst shuffling around fleets and landing Astartes on planets' surfaces.  Why can't someone make a game like this?

I'm so sick of only have real time chapter driven story driven nonsense shoved at me that the media calls strategy games.  How cool would it be to monitor monthly production, assign assets to units, then ship them off to conquer Orks?
Preach it, brother....

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2012, 04:50:21 PM

...and, I really enjoy the ground combat aspect of a modded MOOIII.  I feel that it offers most of what I always looked for in a futuristic 4x game.

How is modded MOOII? I still have the original boxed copy but never played due to the horrid reviews it received. I had heard that mods really improved it but I never was motivated enough to try it.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Fighting Farmer on February 23, 2012, 06:36:56 PM

How is modded MOOII? I still have the original boxed copy but never played due to the horrid reviews it received. I had heard that mods really improved it but I never was motivated enough to try it.

Not MOOII, MOOIII...Modded, it is probably my favorite all-around sci-fi 4x game. I'll try to dig up an old thread at wargamer where we had a discussion about the rebirth of the game through fan mods and how it is totally worthwhile to give it another shot.

EDIT:  I think this is the thread... http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=374227&h=Master&pg=1#374227
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Fighting Farmer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2012, 06:39:44 PM
Quote from: Fighting Farmer on February 23, 2012, 06:36:56 PM

Not MOOII, MOOIII...Modded, it is probably my favorite all-around sci-fi 4x game. I'll try to dig up an old thread at wargamer where we had a discussion about the rebirth of the game through fan mods and how it is totally worthwhile to give it another shot.

EDIT:  I think this is the thread... http://www.wargamer.com/forums/posts.asp?t=374227&h=Master&pg=1#374227

I meant MOOIII, sorry. Thanks for the link I'll give it a try.

Martok

Hmm.  I don't remember you mentioning that aspect before when you were discussing the game (although given I couldn't even tell you what I had for supper yesterday morning, that's not surprising).  How do the mods improve ground combat? 

MOD EDIT:
SHOOT!!!! Sorry Martok, I accidentally modified your post rather than quoted it!  The way the mod tools are designed, that is unfortunately too easy a mistake to make! sorry!  :'(
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on February 24, 2012, 02:09:35 AM
Hmm.  I don't remember you mentioning that aspect before when you were discussing the game (although given I couldn't even tell you what I had for supper yesterday morning, that's not surprising).  How do the mods improve ground combat? 

See, that's just the thing...I'm not really sure how the mods improve ground combat in MOOIII because I never really played the game without the mods.  I don't think the mods really alter or add to the core ground combat, I just think they actually patch it and make it all work.

Anyway, check out the wargamer link I posted above.  I definitely discuss ground combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Empires at War--- I've got this plus the add on with the Consortium forces.  Great game, but it's real time. 

Imperium Galactica 2: Alliances---I've got this one too and this is another classic, but again it's real time. 

Martok you mention the Holy Grail of this sub-genre and that comforts me to know I'm not alone.  The land combat portion of the game would almost be a game within a game the way I envision it.  All turnbased though of course.

I see a screen where you can control what gets produced and where and in what quantity on a monthly basis.  You also would build more manufactorum on this screen at the expense of depleting the planet's environment.  To compensate for all those factories you build on each planet you would have to build arcologies to house the people.

The next screen would be the logistics screen in which cargo shuttles get assigned the material they will bring up into orbit and place inside cargo ships.  The cargo ships in turn would need to be assigned destination(s) to deliver the material to the combat units. 

Not only would there be space battles of all shapes and sizes, but also in the land combat portion.  What I mean is you could launch raids on planets to target key individuals or buildings. 

The turns would be broken down into 3 distinct phases where only one or a few aspects of the game are focused on.  For example, in the production phase, you only would be worrying about production and logistics and the game would help you to focus on just this part of the turn.  That way, you avoid the confusion of the overall big picture filled with thousands of space and land units.

The military phase of the turn would in turn be broken down into 2 phases - the space combat and the land combat phase.

The third phase would be some sort of turn review phase where your staff would debrief you on what just happened in the current turn. 

The technology to create such a game as this might not exist.  I would think something like this would be CPU process power, RAM, and video graphic hungry.  You would probably need a dual screen in fact to play this game because of the scope I envision.  I'm not even sure if a 1 Terabyte hard drive would be enough to house the game either. 

It's a dream I admit, and if I had the resources and the know how I'd make this game for myself, to hell if it was not a profitable game.  My intent would not be profits, but fun the way a turn based strategy gamer likes it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Toonces

Well, there's no arguing with what you want, but the reason that you haven't seen that game (probably) is because it definitely doesn't sound like FUN!  At least to me.  Man alive, that sounds too much like work.

Actually, it sounds a lot like WiTP:AE set in space.  And WiTP:AE is only fun because of the cool historical factor.  You make it all make believe and I very seriously doubt it would get much play at all.

Just my opinion, of course!

And, SW:Empires at War was the first game I thought of when I started reading your thread.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

republic

WitP in spaaaaaaace.  Now that would actually be fun.  Other than Aurora, I can't recall another space based wargame.

Fetrik

Quote from: W8taminute on February 23, 2012, 04:09:15 PM
Ok here's the deal.

This will happen about the same time as people stop buying their tin figures.
It is a sad fact but we wont get a any decent games untill GW see a greater profit in digital games than their tin figures. Which is too WTFBBQ bad!!! Bc this is my fav fantasy / sci fi universe.