Free Jutland Weekend

Started by Bismarck, March 02, 2012, 10:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Quote from: Epee1 on March 04, 2012, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on March 04, 2012, 10:34:57 AM
Quote from: jomni on March 04, 2012, 01:34:36 AM
They're scared of S&I

Most likely.  Easy UI, broader scope, less expensive, no client, no DRM, nicer support

Boy you hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Such a small company and yet so much baggage. And I can tell you from recent experience that this has not changed much. I contacted SES support just last week for help with an Distant Guns license issue and was told that I must install their latest software client on my PC before they would deal with me.

jomni

SAS is like WITP with more focus on Navy.  But it has several abstarctions and automation unlike WITP.
I want to try it out but it does not have a digital download version.

I'm keenly looking into S&I.

spelk

I downloaded it and give it a quick spin this weekend.

I don't like the Stormpowered client. It seems to be an amateur rip-off of Steam. Very homebrew. I told it not to load at startup, but it seems to load at startup regardless.

I suppose you can't fault them for wanting to get in on the game distribution market, but ultimately their client seems quite flaky, their only exclusive range are their very niche naval titles - all other titles can be bought elsewhere (possibly cheaper) with better DRM dodging options.

Anyway, I liked the visuals of Jutland, seeing some of the big WWI ships sailing in formation and letting loose salvos was definitely a draw for me. But I could see how fine control and situational awareness were being compromised. Camera controls seemed ok, a bit finicky, but I suppose if I was taken enough by the title I could learn to use them. The trouble is, SAI just gives you the control at the level you want. Ease of use, I suppose.

I'd only be firing up Jutland to see the visuals. But with wargames it's often the control and appreciation of the battle you want. Visuals tend to come in secondary.

Still, I got to see what I've been missing for free. I was almost tempted to purchase it, but I think having to use the Stormpowered client is what is putting me off. If this was a stand-alone title, DRM-less, or perhaps just a serial key (like Matrix employ), I'd have bought it without hesistation. As it stands, knowing the issues with SES, I'll have to pass.

What would be cool, would be to couple the two games together and control the action with SAI, and watch it as a replay play-out in Jutland's engine.

Gusington

Bismarck is your review of S&I available?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

No, I'm rushing a preview of Arctic Circle.  As you know, previews are more time sensitive.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

^Are you going to draft an S&I review at some point?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Bismarck on March 05, 2012, 01:41:53 PM
Sure, for WG.

Might I ask, after all that has transpired, why?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hartford688

Quote from: LongBlade on March 06, 2012, 09:40:58 AM
Quote from: Bismarck on March 05, 2012, 01:41:53 PM
Sure, for WG.

Might I ask, after all that has transpired, why?

Likely just me, but what HAS actually transpired?

I just see that a bunch of the guys at the Wargamer (and Armchair General) have set up and moved here. I have no idea why. It seems to be something "that shall not be named". Which is fine, but I am puzzled, especially when references like this come up...

Bismarck

To be clear, I didn't move anywhere; I just added this site to my route. If it's totally exclusive, I'll leave.
Jim Cobb

Hartford688

Quote from: Bismarck on March 06, 2012, 01:26:23 PM
To be clear, I didn't move anywhere; I just added this site to my route. If it's totally exclusive, I'll leave.

Well, wasn't really what I meant; I too visit both, and post at both. My post was better addressed to longblade re the "after all that has transpired" comment.

But if all a secret, I'll just trundle on in blissful ignorance. Works in the rest of my life.

Epee1

Quote from: Hartford688 on March 06, 2012, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on March 06, 2012, 01:26:23 PM

Well, wasn't really what I meant; I too visit both, and post at both. My post was better addressed to longblade re the "after all that has transpired" comment.

But if all a secret, I'll just trundle on in blissful ignorance. Works in the rest of my life.

Yep the older I get the safer that sentiment becomes.  I'm just trying to get out of here before the government realizes I exist.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 05, 2012, 01:27:11 PM
^Are you going to draft an S&I review at some point?

I just bought the game and have played through a couple of scenarios.

It's rapidly gaining a sweet spot in my heart.

The game takes a little getting used to. There is no micromanagement. You largely issue course direction and orders. The AI is impressive, both friendly and enemy.

It's similar in some respects to Panther's games like Battles from the Bulge in that you issue orders and watch things unfold. The AI does most of the targeting and all of the shooting. You've got to learn to resist the urge to yell for torpedoes or mines to be dropped - the AI will figure out when it's needed and take care of things.

The UI is clean. Reading the manual helps.

Gus, any specific questions?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Epee1

You don't have any damage control on the individual ships?