Free Jutland Weekend

Started by Bismarck, March 02, 2012, 10:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

No. The AI handles everything.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Just my usual on how difficult is it to dive into? I saw a couple of the screens and will admit that they looked like medical charts to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2012, 10:20:23 AM
Just my usual on how difficult is it to dive into? I saw a couple of the screens and will admit that they looked like medical charts to me.

It is deceptively simple to get into.

The complexity lies in knowing when to give orders, when to change speed and direction.

In a very real sense there is little to do - you are placed in the role of Admiral. Your job is to move divisions of ships, not to bother with who-shoots-what-when.

Steam & Iron is not an action game - it's more like an interactive movie.

Gusington

There's a high level of imagination involved though isn't there? To really get that WWI era feel I imagine the player must use his brain stem.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

It's a very abstract game. On the left hand you get a news feed of the action and there are some decent sound effects but mostly the game is doing stuff under the hood that most gamers are used to doing themselves.

You have to let go, let the action unfold, and resist the temptation to micromanage. Five minutes may roll by where you make no changes to your orders - you just wait and watch. That style of gameplay isn't for everyone, but I am enjoying it.

Bismarck

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2012, 10:56:19 AM
There's a high level of imagination involved though isn't there? To really get that WWI era feel I imagine the player must use his brain stem.

Not the brain stem, the frontal lobes. Of course, if the stem is all you got...
Jim Cobb

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Gusington

Is damage modeling good? Is the game exciting?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Geez, Gus, iif you have so many questions, wait for a review?

BTW, define "exciting".
Jim Cobb

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2012, 11:31:45 AM
Is damage modeling good? Is the game exciting?

Damage modeling is excellent.

Exciting? No. Except that you just never know exactly how things are going. Call it suspenseful. I just played a Heligoland scenario which was fought in fog and rain. Disarray, false sightings, and misinformation characterized the game and made it interesting. In the end I lost six ships (British goal was to only sink two). But it was a blast knowing I was messing with the AI by scattering my ships around it. Meanwhile several divisions of ships were totally controlled by the AI and they just did their own things. It was crazy. Provided you're not OCD, that's a good thing and I really enjoyed it.

Even calmer more orderly games are a good time, but the drama is in the timing. You will want to do something *right now* but know you should just let things unfold. It has to be very similar to being an admiral on the deck of a flagship watching as years of training and preparation unfold while you observe and hope for the best.

Gusington

Suspense can be exciting, to me.

This all got started Bismarck because I am waiting on a review...yours!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

And I'm waiting for the next update.  Hold your water. I just finished two articles and am working on a paper for the American Historical Association' national convention.
Jim Cobb

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 07, 2012, 11:54:55 AM
Suspense can be exciting, to me.

This all got started Bismarck because I am waiting on a review...yours!

Gus, check your Inbox. I'm about to press Send.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd