Silent Hunter 5: On sale for $9

Started by Grim.Reaper, March 11, 2012, 08:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

I know many people likely have different feelings on this game, especially because of the original DRM and the change in gameplay, but if interested, I noticed it on sale for $9 at amazon as a download.  For that price, I am gonna give it a whirl myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-Battle-Atlantic-Download/dp/B0030GG2I0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331470849&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Staggerwing

Has the DRM changed? IIRC it was the 'phone home' kind. Does it disable the game every time you make a hardware change?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Hartford688

Is a good price.

If you are in UK, I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Hunter-Battle-Atlantic-PC/dp/B0041XLDTO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331471036&sr=8-3

GBP 2.49 (!!)

Ludicrously low price that I bought and received last week. I loaded it, patched it, and added a bunch of mods, but haven't had a chance to make much headway so far.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 11, 2012, 08:05:11 AM
Has the DRM changed? IIRC it was the 'phone home' kind. Does it disable the game every time you make a hardware change?

I could of sworn that I read the an offline mode was added in one of the patches, but one of the actual game owners would have to confirm right now.

Hartford688

Greybriar

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 11, 2012, 08:01:15 AM

You can buy the retail boxed version of Silent Hunter V for $4.99 from Amazon.com.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Greybriar on March 11, 2012, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 11, 2012, 08:01:15 AM

You can buy the retail boxed version of Silent Hunter V for $4.99 from Amazon.com.

True...but by the time you add the shipping costs and the wait time, an impulse buyer like me would pass it up:)  But for anyone who does want the box, great deal.

Nefaro

You still need a Ubi login but you can turn off the internet requirement via an Offline Mode.  So after installation, it won't check it while playing if you don't want it to.
Still not great but far better than before.  At $9, it's palatable for what you get. 

There are a couple must-have mods IMO.. the Torpedo speed solution fix and probably DarkWraith's NewUIs for much more interface functionality.  But you'll do just fine with only the speed fix if you wanna run vanilla - it's not bad at all nowadays.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on March 11, 2012, 01:13:22 PM

You still need a Ubi login but you can turn off the internet requirement via an Offline Mode.  So after installation, it won't check it while playing if you don't want it to.
Still not great but far better than before.  At $9, it's palatable for what you get. 

There are a couple must-have mods IMO.. the Torpedo speed solution fix and probably DarkWraith's NewUIs for much more interface functionality.  But you'll do just fine with only the speed fix if you wanna run vanilla - it's not bad at all nowadays.

Just curious, do you have a link to all those mods?  Thanks!

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 11, 2012, 04:56:00 PM

Just curious, do you have a link to all those mods?  Thanks!

Check out this beginner mod guide thread:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190656

It has info & links.

At the minimum, get the Torpedo Speed Fix for even the vanilla game:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169477
(also linked in that thread)

Beyond that, the Multiple UIs mod is about the only one you should get.   It takes a small amount of file organization work to get it going, though, but it's meant to be used with JSGME like most other mods for SH5, so once you get it set up, you can switch it in & out all you want.  You can add the bigger campaign and everything else as you feel, later.

Here's my currently Activated SH5 Mods:

NewUIs_TDC_6_9_0_ByTheDarkWraith
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Stock w beards
Torpedo_Speed_Abilitie_Fix_for_TDC_SH5_v120
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbances_v2_0_SH5
OPEN HORIZONS II_base v1.7
Speech fixes and additions (english version)