Slitherine Servers Under Attack?

Started by son_of_montfort, March 12, 2012, 09:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Did you all see this:
http://www.matrixgames.com/news/897/REVENGE.OF.MARS!.ON.THE.SLITHERINE.SITE

QuoteIt's been another long night and hard day with further sustained malicious attacks on the Slitherine server. We had to take the site offline to protect it and repair the damage and after many hours it is now back online.  This did not affect the Matrix Games servers, however as the PBEM multiplayer system is hosted on the Slitherine server, that was affected and some turns were lost.  Read on for more details.

The latest attack was completely different to the initial one and affected the server in a different way. While the changes we made did not stop the attack, this time we were able to trace how they got in and added extra protection to ensure this cannot happen again. In addition we were able to trace the IP address where the attack originated which is a huge step forwards in tracking down who did this.

As a result of the latest attack we have unfortunately lost some more data. This means any multiplayer turns played on the 8th March will be lost and games will revert to their state on the 7th March. We have also lost forum posts from the 8th March. The PBEM system is not fully online yet but we will have it back up in the next couple of hours.

To be clear, this is not an intrusion that affected customer data or the online store (which is in a completely different location on different servers and behind much more security), nor did it affect the Matrix Games servers.

We'd like to apologise again for any inconvenience. Thanks for your continued patience and support.

So if your PBEM games were messing up, now you know why. Fairly odd to attack Slitherine, as they aren't very high profile.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Epee1

Yeah I agree, it's not as if they are commies. So I fail to understand the attack. 8)

Steelgrave

I'm pretty sure that the cops are gonna want to know where some of us were at any given time.  ::)

Say....where's LB?  ;)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Epee1 on March 12, 2012, 10:17:21 PM
Yeah I agree, it's not as if they are commies. So I fail to understand the attack. 8)

According to current events, isn't it the communists (in China) that are hacking us? Maye they are trying to weaken the effectiveness of our PC gaming Generals!

QuoteI'm pretty sure that the cops are gonna want to know where some of us were at any given time.

I had the exact same thought...
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

I don't know but I think that somebody did not like the results of the PBEM turn they played and resorted to extreme measures to get to play it over again.  ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 12, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that the cops are gonna want to know where some of us were at any given time.  ::)

Say....where's LB?  ;)

LOL.

I was watching TV when it happened.

No, I'm not proud, but it was Bachelor: After The Last Rose. My dachshund was with me and he can vouch for the fact that we both still hate Courtney.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

I'm ashamed that you admitted this in the gaming section. We need strong leaders! Real men watch "The Vampire Diaries."

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

Quote from: LongBlade on March 13, 2012, 07:57:19 AM
Quote from: Steelgrave on March 12, 2012, 10:33:49 PM

Say....where's LB?  ;)

LOL.

I was watching TV when it happened.

No, I'm not proud, but it was Bachelor: After The Last Rose. My dachshund was with me and he can vouch for the fact that we both still hate Courtney.

Oh man....I think you're in the clear, LB. I mean, why would anyone admit to watching "The Bachelor" unless it was true?

Hell, I wish I had thought of that one. I had to admit to the cops that I was lingerie shopping with Azzurri......

MIGMaster

So all you guys missed Pretty Little Liars !!! Not one post about it.....  ;)

Gusington

I was chewing on nails and shadow boxing in the nude when this occurred. Not necessarily in that order.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

My mental images of both Long Blade and Gusington have changed dramatically based on this thread.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sigma One

I was shadow wrestling.

I lose a lot.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on March 13, 2012, 12:16:48 PM
My mental images of both Long Blade and Gusington have changed dramatically based on this thread.

Having an alibi is rarely pretty.

But at least I was wearing clothing.

Gusington

Shadow boxing in the nude is quite useful for identifying the jiggly/fatty bits that need more work.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2012, 01:40:00 PM
Shadow boxing in the nude is quite useful for identifying the jiggly/fatty bits that need more work.

Ya know, some things we just don't need to know about, Gus...