Main Menu

Death to Heretics!

Started by Centurion40, March 13, 2012, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

So the motherboard on my pc is dead on Saturday morning.  So I take my pc into the more reliable of the local shops and they tell me that it is beyond repair as the technology is now over 5 years old (I bought the refurbished pc in 2006) and nothing they have now will work with the surviving components of my pc.

So apart from needing to shell-out for a new pc (and not having enough $$ to get a kick-a$$ rig), it burns me that my entire Dawn of War collection (original Dawn of War along with Winter Assault and Dark Crusade expansions) sit in the dead computer.  I bought them via download (EB Games) and have no disks.  So I'm talking to the builders of my new pc about having them transfer the games over.  Sure they said, but why not save yourself our fee and re-download the games?  Perfect I think.  But heresy is afoot.

I go to EB Games website and it appears that do not carry the original Dawn of War series (except Soulstorm) any more, and there is nothing for download from them.  Hmmm.  So I contact them (via e-mail) and they tell me that they used another company "http://csc.trymedia.com/" for their download service, but EB Games no longer deals with this company and therefore I would need to go to their website and contact them.  The foul taint of Chaos lingers as that website and company appear to be 404.

Heretics!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Shelldrake

A true tale of woe to be sure 40Cent. :(

A couple of thoughts.

You can probably pick up a used replacement MB that will work with your PC for a song on Kijiji. Also check with the folks at Brilliance Computer Technologies who frequently have a good stock of used parts and are really helpful. You can also pick up a hard copy of Warhammer 40K Gold for $10 at your local Zellers in their bargain bin.

Oh...and start saving those loonies for a new kick@$$ gaming rig!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Centurion40

I'm dealing with Robotnik after being hosed by PC Medic, over a refurbished video card last year.

Maybe I should have gone to Brilliance from the get-go.

Shelldrake

I tend to deal with Brilliance or MysteryByte and have had good experiences with both vendors.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 13, 2012, 02:41:55 PM
I tend to deal with Brilliance or MysteryByte and have had good experiences with both vendors.

Robotnik has great parking and is close-ish to home.  Not as close as TBC, but close-ish nonetheless!

Oche

Now that sucks...can you save the HDD of your dead computer at least?

W8taminute

40 as long as it was just your motherboard that died you could totally retrieve your data from the old HDD.  Our IT dept. here at work does it all the time.  I burned my old work laptop.  When my replacement arrived I gave the old laptop's HDD to IT who hooked it up to some cable and dumped the contents onto the new laptop's HDD.

Alternatively, if you bought a new desktop, just attach the old HDD into a free bay and you should be all set.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: Oche on March 13, 2012, 03:50:32 PM

This.

Just take the old hard drive out of the old machine, if there's a bunch of installers on it, and buy an external USB hard drive enclosure.  Plug that old drive up in it, insert into your new PC's USB port and *POOF* you have your files back.   If the  motherboard died on your old dinosaur, then your hard drive is likely just fine (unless an exceptionally bad power surge fried everything in it).

Sometimes, on a password protected login, you won't be able to acces your Documents folder on another OS in that way without "taking ownership" of the file.  No big deal, but I'm guessing you didn't put much of importance in your My Docs folder anyway did ya?  ;)

0kult13

Well you have bought them and can provr it with your statments, why not just put your keys in to a copys preserved on pirate bay.

Shelldrake

40Cents,
If you decide not to revive your old rig, you can put together a nice budget gaming rig for not many $ these days. For example, this package has everything you need (except OS) for less than $500. Video card is onboard but will run older games and you can always pop in a better card at some point in the future.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789250

Dean Edell

Gusington

^Got my rig from NewEgg. They rock. I will never go anywhere else for parts either. Great service.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Another plug for Newegg.  I bought all the parts from them and put together my first machine for a great price.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Centurion40

Yep!  :)

Centurion40

Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2012, 08:01:03 PM

This.

Just take the old hard drive out of the old machine, if there's a bunch of installers on it, and buy an external USB hard drive enclosure.  Plug that old drive up in it, insert into your new PC's USB port and *POOF* you have your files back.   If the  motherboard died on your old dinosaur, then your hard drive is likely just fine (unless an exceptionally bad power surge fried everything in it).

Sometimes, on a password protected login, you won't be able to acces your Documents folder on another OS in that way without "taking ownership" of the file.  No big deal, but I'm guessing you didn't put much of importance in your My Docs folder anyway did ya?  ;)

Good idea.  I've actually discussed this with my local tech shop.  The downside is that they said that I won't be able to play my games off of it, like I could when it was the actual hd.

There is nothing that is password protected on the old hd, it's the "family" pc.