Gettysburg Armored Warfare

Started by Tpek, March 15, 2012, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

I haven't seen a thread about this yet, so I assume no one really noticed or payed attention to it, but:

Paradox's Gettysburg Armored Warfare has been available for pre-order for some days now on gamersgate:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-GAW/gettysburg-armored-warfare

It costs 10$ and is supposed to be released on the 27th, and use Steam as a DRM (which is weird since the game is not yet even listed on Steam).

For those who pre-order the manual is already available for downloading. (And I obviously pre-ordered)

Now I am waiting for it to release, and wondering how come the price is merely 10$ for an online MP game.

Staggerwing

Is this the Steampunkish Alt History title? My guess about the $10 is they think not enough people will have a strong enough
interest to pay more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tpek

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 15, 2012, 12:12:09 PM
Is this the Steampunkish Alt History title? My guess about the $10 is they think not enough people will have a strong enough
interest to pay more.

The game isn't really that big, and apparently there's no campaign or anything but MP and skirmish battles.
Plus I am guessing they are expecting to make more and more DLC.

Still though, 10$ is weird. Paradox usually sells their games for 30$.

Gusington

There's no single player component at all? Crap. I would be all over this if there was.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

I posted some news a couple of weeks ago on this.

Unfortunately, the way our current news system works on the forums, it's far easier for me to delete old news than to archive it.

The gameplay looks curiously intriguing. You can select 16 Gettysburg-era soldiers or 4 futuristic ones. Personally I would argue that a decent hunting rifle would overwhelm civil war era soldiers with muskets, and only a Henry could hope to match it...never mind the possibility that future soldiers would have lasers or something.

But in principle the game looks interesting. I hope it turns out well, because it has the potential to be great, but my gut questions whether it will live up to expectations.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

A crazy game idea like this needs a story though a single player campaign.  I thought they are going to make one.

Multiplayer-only is a no go for me because I need to be convinced about the plot.

Arctic Blast

The price makes sense. It's a VERY different concept, and they need to entice MP players from bigger titles/convince others to give it a try. $10 is a nice impulse purchase price.