Space Hulk Has Emerged From Warp! (Is this gonna be another bug hunt, sir?)

Started by JasonPratt, August 10, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I just thought I should say something about this in a thread since the old ones have run off the bottom of the main CW page.

Although whenever I try to type something coherent, all my brain hears is squeeeee, squeeeeeeeeeee.

Maybe I'll pass the time by trying to get DoW1 working on my Win8 machine...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I've been spending the time playing Dawn of War 2 for the first time. Damn that game is excellent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2013, 10:35:47 PM
I've been spending the time playing Dawn of War 2 for the first time. Damn that game is excellent.

I CANNOT get DOW2 to run on my WIN8 system.  It hates GFWL games...so frustrating.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I've also been playing DoW1 and DoW2 - just to get in the mood as it were.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Hm. I got DoW2 and its first sequel (I don't have Retribution yet, the game with the multiple faction campaigns) to run on Win8, but I don't recall how. GFWL was indeed a major problem at first.

DoW1 has problems running on Win8, primarily due to not being able to enter the activation codes; but I learned there's a way to legitimately hack around that by adding the codes directly to a file somewhere through text-editing it.

Come to think of it, I have a rather impressive Android-based Space Hulk clone around here somewhere that I picked up after I heard the original development announcement. I forget what it's called but I can run it and (sometimes) other Android programs through Oracle VM VirtualBox on my Win8 machine.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 10, 2013, 10:44:09 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2013, 10:35:47 PM

It hates GFWL games...

Who doesn't? :P

panzerde

I have a moratorium on game pre-purchases (too many of games turn out to not be fully baked at release and end up failing or at a discount shortly after launch), but I couldn't stop myself on this one.  Between this and Shadowrun Returns, I should have my fill of SF turn-based goodness for awhile!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Bumping the clock down Sunday night...

I am ashamed to say I've spent the day not in playing DoW1 (or even trying to get it running on my Win8 system), but in playing Etherlords2.

ross_ntu

Is it just me who is a bit worried this could get old a bit quickly?  It looks good, and I will almost certainly buy it, but I am worried that 15 missions and no character progression may leave the game... a bit repetitive?  I didn't play the boardgame loads - am I missing something here?  So many good games are coming out or have come out this month - I think this one may have to go on the back burner. 

JasonPratt

The original SH computer game had no character progression either, and I didn't think it got old quickly. It isn't an RPG, that's all. (DoW1 didn't always have character progression in its campaigns, either.)

You do have a point about it being repetitive, but people who like the game play it for the variations of repetitive. We like the atmosphere and the tactical puzzles with randomized elements. Five missions on the same map with the same squad and even the same starting strategy by the player, tend not to play out the same way. Despite the game featuring Terminator Space Marines, the absolute pinnacle of SM fighters and supposedly very rare, in practice it's easy for the Termies to die a lot, in glorious sacrificial stands to complete the mission and allow their brothers to continue on (and that sort of thing), so RPGing would almost be kind of a waste of time.

I will note however that the "Templar" SH-clone for the Android system does have some character progression. :)

PanzersEast

On my wishlist... EU IV knocked it out of my shopping cart....  Looking forward to hearing feedback.

PE

ross_ntu

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 12, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
The original SH computer game had no character progression either, and I didn't think it got old quickly. It isn't an RPG, that's all. (DoW1 didn't always have character progression in its campaigns, either.)

You do have a point about it being repetitive, but people who like the game play it for the variations of repetitive. We like the atmosphere and the tactical puzzles with randomized elements. Five missions on the same map with the same squad and even the same starting strategy by the player, tend not to play out the same way. Despite the game featuring Terminator Space Marines, the absolute pinnacle of SM fighters and supposedly very rare, in practice it's easy for the Termies to die a lot, in glorious sacrificial stands to complete the mission and allow their brothers to continue on (and that sort of thing), so RPGing would almost be kind of a waste of time.

I will note however that the "Templar" SH-clone for the Android system does have some character progression. :)

Templar Assault RPG?  Looks worth a purchase for the old S3 at £1.89!  With regards to Space Hulk itself,  where does the variety come from apart from Hulk layout and number of enemies?  Are there any different enemy or different aims / objectives? 

Nefaro

Quote from: ross_ntu on August 12, 2013, 03:44:21 AM
Is it just me who is a bit worried this could get old a bit quickly?  It looks good, and I will almost certainly buy it, but I am worried that 15 missions and no character progression may leave the game... a bit repetitive?  I didn't play the boardgame loads - am I missing something here?  So many good games are coming out or have come out this month - I think this one may have to go on the back burner.

This is also a concern for me. 

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on August 12, 2013, 02:06:24 PM
Quote from: ross_ntu on August 12, 2013, 03:44:21 AM

This is also a concern for me.

The developers keep stressing how difficult the missions are, which to me sounds like even more tedium. I think I'm going to hold off and wait for a demo and a sale.