Space Hulk Has Emerged From Warp! (Is this gonna be another bug hunt, sir?)

Started by JasonPratt, August 10, 2013, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I fear it's something I'll play for a very short time and then move on.  Probably wouldn't even get to the end. 

I've really been judging new purchases on how much I might play them long-term since I already have so many unplayed ones to catch up on. 

No continuity?  Or does the continuity just last for the 15 battles and then that's it?

Grimnirsson

QuoteProbably wouldn't even get to the end. 

You are weak...the Inquisition will judge you...the Emperor will not protect you...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

If they're reproducing the "Sin of Damnation" campaign, my guess (at the moment) is that continuity can best be described as "loose". i.e. there's a story that makes some sense stringing together a group of increasingly difficult missions.

Ross, yep Templar Assault RPG (which notably has "RPG" in its title, now that I recall). I had completely forgotten it existed. Back around Father's Day I was testing out various Android games on my Win8 emulator to try to find something for my brother for his (real) Android pad. He wanted something kind of like the Slitherine "Commander" WW2 game, which he had just finished on his PSP, but different -- at the time, there weren't any grand strategy games on the droid that weren't more like Risk. (And he doesn't want to play things on his own computer because he doesn't want the kids thinking the computer is there to play games on.) His birthday is coming up soon, so I'll need to relook and see what's out there.

Anyway, I ran across Templar and dl'd the demo for my own interest. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

So in warming up for Space Hulk I continue to play through DoW II. Got through the first series of missions, now on to the second act and the difficulty has been ramped up a bit. But what a great game. An RTS with mad lootz!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

I liked DoW 2 very much too.
The narration is cool and the gameplay is fun and like the tabletop game, albeit smaller in size.

I liked DoW 1 very much as well, maybe even more than 2, cause it scratched the Command and Conquer classic itch for me. There aren't too many RTS games anymore where basebuilding is still a significant part of the core concept.
And I like base building!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I've got DoW I as well but haven't played it yet. It feels good to get his DoW segment of gaming oit of my system though. Wish I played DoW II sooner. Can't wait to try out some of the vehicles.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2013, 07:13:37 AM
I've got DoW I as well but haven't played it yet. It feels good to get his DoW segment of gaming oit of my system though. Wish I played DoW II sooner. Can't wait to try out some of the vehicles.

There are a lot of great mods for DOW I.  Let me know if you're interested, I'll give you details regarding my favorites.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2013, 08:40:22 AM

There are a lot of great mods for DOW I.  Let me know if you're interested, I'll give you details regarding my favorites.

ooo, what is there? i didnt realise there was a big mod community

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 13, 2013, 09:53:39 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 13, 2013, 08:40:22 AM

ooo, what is there? i didnt realise there was a big mod community

Absolutely HUGE modding community...at least there was...

My favorite DoW mod of all time is known as the Firestorm Over Kronus mod or "FoK."  It added a tremendous amount of models, units and content.  Last time I looked, the mod was for Soulstorm only, but work was still progressing very slowly for a conversion over to DC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 13, 2013, 10:38:28 AM
Definitely interested. What else is there?

The only one I've bothered putting in was a Zoom Mod so that you can zoom out a bit further.  Always felt claustrophobic with the vanilla zoom-out limitation.

I'm wondering at what AI difficulty level does the AI start getting artificial 'cheat' bonuses?  It seems like Normal AI setting can crank out more units than a player, but perhaps I just suck at DoWI.

JasonPratt

No, normal AI doesn't get any cheats, it just processes "clicks" faster and more efficiently than humans usually can. I don't think harder settings increase the AI's unit cap either, just rates of resources.

Another strong mod is DoWPro (for SS and for DC, but for skirmish and mp, not the campaigns). I think work on it finally died off before the Sisters of Battle could be tweaked to the modder's satisfaction -- in the last one or two versions he just turned them off so they couldn't be used. But I was pretty happy with the results on the last version with the SoBs.

The mod doesn't do anything horribly innovative, it's just a careful balance mod with a ton of maps plus another popular mod for AI scripting. (It also includes the zoom-out mod.) Not real sure how well it works with Steam, but for a long time it was the preferred mp mod.

FoK has a lot more niftiness to it. Another interesting mod, unfinished but well along the last time I checked a few years ago, ports in the final main race, the Tyrannids.

I don't have links to Relic's forum on my new computer, so I can't send people to where the best mods were gathered together. :(
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Arctic Blast

Gusington

I didn't realize how intense and deep DoW II is. I am in love.

Just completed two missions that were giving me trouble yesterday and the game leaves me more exhausted than any other.

I might actually put Space Hulk on the back burner just so I can complete DoW II before Rome 2 arrives :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

It looks like the Relic forums have drastically changed.  They appear to be a shell of their former glory.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog