Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn released

Started by DoctorQuest, March 22, 2012, 02:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I've talked about this bad boy before but the time has finally come.

A completely free space combat game set in the Wing Commander universe.

www.wcsaga.com

As you might expect the servers are a bit overwhelmed right now.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

tgb

Is this legit?  What I mean is, do they have the rights to the IP?

DoctorQuest

Quote from: tgb on March 22, 2012, 05:05:36 PM

It's an interesting question that is somewhat addressed by these comments. http://www.wcsaga.com/news-archive-2012/clarification-in-response-to-recent-media-stories.html

I'm not a lawyer but the key thing may be the fact that this is free game. While EA has not made any attempt to shut the thing down I suspect that would change in a heartbeat if money was involved. But according to the link above EA probably could if they wanted.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

Quote from: DoctorQuest on March 22, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: tgb on March 22, 2012, 05:05:36 PM

It's an interesting question that is somewhat addressed by these comments. http://www.wcsaga.com/news-archive-2012/clarification-in-response-to-recent-media-stories.html

I'm not a lawyer but the key thing may be the fact that this is free game. While EA has not made any attempt to shut the thing down I suspect that would change in a heartbeat if money was involved. But according to the link above EA probably could if they wanted.

I wonder if EA is taking a watch and see attitude on this.  Not to drop the hammer on them in the future, but if there is a lot of interest, then maybe EA may look at doing a reinvention of the WC universe.  On the other hand, when is the last time EA has done anything with WC, they may not care.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Toonces

Is this a 3rd person over the shoulder spaceship game, or are you in a cockpit of a spaceship?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

There is no cockpit, but you get a hud, just like in the original Free Space games.  It is not third-person/over the shoulder.  I ran the first training mission last night and I must say, I'm totally impressed by what they've managed to do here.  And, heck, its free!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Is it the "Wing commander saga: Prologue"??

I'm not seeing a link to the game in the download section.  Figure I better grab it before EA gets after them.

Bah!  Nevermind.  The download link page was in the News section of their site.
http://wcsaga.com/news-archive-2012/the-darkest-dawn-is-cleared-for-launch.html

Shelldrake

Quote from: Nefaro on March 23, 2012, 08:30:47 AM
Is it the "Wing commander saga: Prologue"??

Prologue was the teaser release. The current release weighs in at 3.3 GB!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

I edited my earlier post to include the news link with downloads listed.

Considering EA committed their army of lawyers in attempting to gain exclusive rights to the word "Battlefield", I wouldn't be surprised if they took notice before long.

Toonces

Yep.

I d/l'd it, not even sure if I want to play it, in anticipation of it "going away."
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^Never played any of the originals but I will dl it for the same reason. The guys at Rock Paper Shotgun really like it. Watch, when I get home it will be gone.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I started the prologue "training" campaign, and I can tell someone put a lot of time into bring the old Freespace engine up to date, and putting the WC stuff in. 

As for the actual gameplay.. I dunno.. I'd probably rather fire up my Evochron:Mercenary or X3 as the space flight combat plays like a much simpler version of the latter with one-off missions.  It's strength looks to be the effort put into the presentation, with the voice-acting and such (which can be a bit cheesy).  If you get into a storyline, especially of the Wing Commander type, you'll like it.

Gusington

Not sure when I'll play, but downloading now. Sounded too good to resist and I started to get paranoid it may disappear before I got a chance.

EDIT: ok I've downloaded it and there are multiple parts. Is there an installer hidden somewhere?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on March 24, 2012, 08:21:07 AM
Not sure when I'll play, but downloading now. Sounded too good to resist and I started to get paranoid it may disappear before I got a chance.

EDIT: ok I've downloaded it and there are multiple parts. Is there an installer hidden somewhere?

Gus, if your download was complete you should have a zip file containing several files PLUS a darkest-dawn-setup.exe. Click on that to get things started.