Crusader Kings II owners who bought from Gamersgate...

Started by WallysWorld, November 21, 2013, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Johan Andersson of Paradox Interactive has revealed on the Paradox Forums that there will be plans to stop updating the Gamersgate version of Crusader Kings II and only the Steam edition will be updated.

The cited reasons are that it is taking too long to maintain the Gamersgate edition and they want to invest their resources elsewhere.

Johan has stated that all owners of the Gamersgate edition will be getting Steam keys for their DLC and game.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-ii-to-halt-gamersgate-updates.87974/
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Martok

Well bugger. 

I don't really blame Paradox for this move, and I'm relieved those of us who purchased CK2 on GG will at least get Steam keys, but I can't say I'm happy about it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

It doesn't surprise me. Here's the link to the thread on the Paradox forums for those who want to get the information straight from the horse's mouth.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

I'm okay with this as long as all my DLC on Gamersgate gets Steam keys.  Mainly because the Steam version's install can be ran without Steam even on, and can supposedly be backed up directly to a disk.

One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought some of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(

Greybriar

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
....One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought one of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(

I did the same thing and when I tried to get the CK2 DLCs added to my GamersGate account, I was told "we know you bought them." Looks like the moment of truth is nearly here.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on November 21, 2013, 03:24:35 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 03:20:43 PM
....One issue with this, however, is a previous problem rearing it's head.  I had actually bought one of the Gamersgate DLCs through the in-game 'store', with Blue Coins, and I don't recall it ever showing up on my games list on the Gamersgate site.  So I'll probably end up having to pull some teeth somewhere in this whole goddamn mess.   >:(

I did the same thing and when I tried to get the CK2 DLCs added to my GamersGate account, I was told "we know you bought them." Looks like the moment of truth is nearly here.

Ahhh.  Well, I went ahead and submitted support inquiries with both GG and Pdox so they're getting a reminder.  ;)

I also already have a copy of CK2 and at least one DLC on Steam.  My faith in the Steam client not fvck!ng up has always been shaky so I'm also hoping there is no problems adding my long list of crap to it.  Notably so because I bought the CK2 "Collection" on Gamersgate, which also includes stuff I already have on Steam, but many extra DLCs that I don't.

::)

Nefaro

Here is the odd reply from Gamersgate support, fast as usual:

Quote from: Gamersgate Support
The DLC purchased in the in-game store is not part of your GamersGate library and does not show up there. Only the DLC bought at GamersGate becomes part of your GamersGate library.

I can't imagine that Paradox would leave customers who bought in the in-game shop out in the cold though. I do not how how the intended transition to Steam is planned to work, or even if it's really going to take place (the announcement so far is that of a strong intention, but not yet a "we will definitely do this"), but I don't think that you will need to get your DLC registered in the GamersGate library in order to get it transferred to Steam.

So it sounds like the in-game store is pretty much Paradox' creation.   Will have to wait and see what my tech support post garners.

Greybriar

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2013, 04:18:07 PM
Here is the odd reply from Gamersgate support, fast as usual:

Quote from: Gamersgate Support
The DLC purchased in the in-game store is not part of your GamersGate library and does not show up there. Only the DLC bought at GamersGate becomes part of your GamersGate library.

I can't imagine that Paradox would leave customers who bought in the in-game shop out in the cold though. I do not how how the intended transition to Steam is planned to work, or even if it's really going to take place (the announcement so far is that of a strong intention, but not yet a "we will definitely do this"), but I don't think that you will need to get your DLC registered in the GamersGate library in order to get it transferred to Steam.

So it sounds like the in-game store is pretty much Paradox' creation.   Will have to wait and see what my tech support post garners.

The reply you received from GamersGate doesn't add up. How can the DLC purchased with Blue Coins from the ingame store not have been purchased from GamersGate?

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on November 22, 2013, 07:13:55 AM

The reply you received from GamersGate doesn't add up. How can the DLC purchased with Blue Coins from the ingame store not have been purchased from GamersGate?

Dunno.. I asked the support person what was up since we had to use our Gamersgate login to use the in-game store.  Of course, the in-game store was surely the sole creation of Paradox so they probably run it.

Philippe

I note that you can use Blue Coins and buy Blue Coins at the In-game store, but buying things through the In-game store does not give you Blue Coins.

If this is correct (and I'm pretty sure it is), that would suggest the In-game store is Paradox's baby, and that's one of the things they seem to be getting sick of running.

A shame, because I'm an unreconstructed Luddite and don't want to get a Steam account.

Having said that, the latest hotfix patch (which just came out today in non-beta form) can be downloaded as a Gamersgate version at the Paradox website.

There's a problem with the music DLC -- I've figured out how to trick the system into letting me download it (it wouldn't let me download because it kept saying I already had it installed), but I don't have the patience at the moment to perform the tests needed to prove that it's also installed.  If I knew what to listen for I'd just play the appropriate part of the game -- but I don't know what's appropriate.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Nefaro

While I plan on picking up the newest DLC, I'm gonna wait until all this hubbub is sorted. 

Firstly there's the issue with the in-game store DLC seemingly being purchased directly through Paradox, in some strange way, using our Gamersgate account logins but not having our actual purchases registered back with GG.  Then there's all the installation and bug issues I see regarding the GG version of the new DLC.  While Paradox has mage immense leaps in their releases' quality since CK2 first came out, this is the first time I'm seeing some pretty nasty stuff since then.  Makes me wonder if they put the GG version development further back on the burner already.  :o

PanzersEast

Looks like the Steam Keys are showing up in my account.... just FYI you may want to check.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 18, 2013, 11:05:07 AM
Looks like the Steam Keys are showing up in my account.... just FYI you may want to check.

PE

*Sigh*

Time to see if that whole in-game shop purchases not showing up has been addressed in some way. 

I really don't want to F with this right now.  >:(

EDIT:  Well.. it looks like they managed to add all the DLC I had picked up in-game with blue coins to my Gamersgate library.  There is so much that I'm not sure if it's all there but looking good thus far.

OH MY GOD the amount of serials to type in!!  :o

Nefaro

And another complaint:

OH MY GOD how often do these developers have to update their Steam games?  Every time I log in there are a dozen updates downloading!   I don't even have many games installed on this machine right now.  Insanity!  Dogs & cats living together!

Between that and Gamersgate running like crap due to the sales, I may have to postpone this mess.   Good luck with yours!

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 18, 2013, 04:12:08 PM
And another complaint:

OH MY GOD how often do these developers have to update their Steam games?  Every time I log in there are a dozen updates downloading!   I don't even have many games installed on this machine right now.  Insanity!  Dogs & cats living together!

Between that and Gamersgate running like crap due to the sales, I may have to postpone this mess.   Good luck with yours!

Yea... then go try to find the patch notes to find out what has changed and if it affects your saved game....  Just wished it was a little easier to find the update information in Steam as I under stand updating the games, just want an easy way to see what is being updated (like apps in IOS).

PE