Good Old Games is gone!

Started by Greybriar, March 27, 2012, 08:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

From now on they will be known as GOG. They will sell not only old games, but new ones as well.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

They had been trending this way for sometime.  The question is whether or not they keep the firm no DRM policy or not.  New games will come with new expectations from developers and publishers.

MIGMaster

The DRM thing is a big reason for my GOG purchases - I really hope they do keep with that policy.

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

twitter3

Tpek

Quote from: Shelldrake on March 27, 2012, 09:18:09 AM
They claim no DRM, ever, no matter what else changes.

http://www.gog.com/news/bigger_fresher_newer_see_whats_new_on_gogcom

So did Impulse/Stardock... then they went and made their own DRM.

Shelldrake

Quote from: Tpek on March 27, 2012, 12:00:10 PM

So did Impulse/Stardock... then they went and made their own DRM.

True dat. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself!  :-\
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bison

Of course the one rich irony is that Galactic Empires 2 Ultimate edition maybe the one game availible on Steam that REQUIRES you install a different game management program to install and update the game.

airboy

This was a darn evil subject heading.

If we had "negative karma" hits on reputation like some other forums I would ding you.

Arctic Blast

So yet another example of a massive marketing push leading to a very underwhelming update for their site.

A couple of new price points, newer indie games and....? A still really limited new downloader and a new site layout that tends to be more annoying? Wow. Yippi-de-doo.

LongBlade

Quote from: airboy on March 27, 2012, 04:08:08 PM

If we had "negative karma" hits on reputation like some other forums I would ding you.

Heh.

We do. I just haven't turned them on ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

So long as this remains the case, they'll remain one of my favorites. 

Quote from: airboy on March 27, 2012, 04:08:08 PM

I already bitched to him about it over at WG.  Bad Greybriar

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on March 27, 2012, 01:42:54 PM
Of course the one rich irony is that Galactic Empires 2 Ultimate edition maybe the one game availible on Steam that REQUIRES you install a different game management program to install and update the game.

Good god.  Before long, you'll need three different sales clients running on your computer in order to start something.  Wonder how many ads you'll see every time you close it, too?   :-\