Gettysburg: Armored Warfare

Started by MIGMaster, March 28, 2012, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIGMaster

When is your review going to be posted Jim  ? Interested in hearing about this game.

Bison

I looked at this game on Steam today.  It made me want to cry, seriously.

son_of_montfort

^ I don't know what to think. RTS, FPS... steam-punk ACW. The only acronym I need more is: WTF?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Tpek

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 28, 2012, 01:37:11 PM
When is your review going to be posted Jim  ? Interested in hearing about this game.

I've only played the offline practice mode so far, so my impressions are a bit limited but:

Graphics: The game's graphics are pretty bad, very obsolete looking with bad lighting. This adds to the problem that the only difference between the 2 sides is a shade of blue-grey, which means that unless you're at point blank range you can't tell the difference between Union and Confederacy troops.

Sound/Music: Really really rudimentary, with a bit of bad voice acting.

Gameplay: It's very reminding of the Battlefield games. 2 sides, each with a starting base, need to capture points or kill enemies in order to lower their tickets. Units respawn. There are infantry and various vehicles.

Except...

Physics are pretty shitty, no destructible environments other than tanks&apcs&artillery being able to make fences/walls "disappear" when moving through them.
It's hard to gauge where the shot will hit, and not because of any sort of deviation, but simply because where you aim has little to do with how high or low you shoot. Also bullets bounce in weird fashion all the while using tracers. And artillery is pretty pointless since there are no real ballistics.

Each battle each side has some infantry and some vehicles, I've yet to figure out how to decide what spawns and what doesn't.
Balancewise, there's no point at all for infantry. A typical infantry unit has 100HP while a vehicle has over 3000 and is better armored. Add to that the speed difference (infantry are slow, vehicles
move much much faster), the difference in the weapons (infantry have weak weapons, and yet the tank's "Sabot" round does quite a lot of HEAP damage... ohh, and unlike infantry vehicles have infinite ammo and don't need to reload.

AI: The AI is outright terrible. I wouldn't count on playing with bots too much as they cannot provide any challenge at all.
Despite infantry units coming in groups and supposed to operate as a group, the AI handles them completely individually, sending off lone rilfemen to fight off far superior vehicles.
Cavalry just rushes forward towards the enemy cavalry and then they both stop at point blank range and apparently play thumb-wrestling, cause they're not doing anything else.

Don't worry though, the A.I won't even use vehicles. Except for Infantry and Cavalry, the AI just lets all the vehicles idly sit in the spawn point.

tgb

Tpek

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on March 28, 2012, 02:35:32 PM
Quote from: tgb on March 28, 2012, 02:34:57 PM
Day One purchase for sure!

It was released yesterday :P

$10, IIRC.

It has potential, if only as a nice multiplayer skirmish game. I probably need to see if I can snag a copy off our press account.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Sounds like it would be great for the future server. Cheap and cheesy. Like me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Latest word is that it's buggy & unfinished - from Mista Allen.   :-[

Bismarck

GAW is third on my list. Initial impression: bleh as Tpek says.

Guys, I'm teaching a course and writing a paper for the American History Association conference in May so my game turn-around is slower that usual/ A MIA PC for three weeks didn't help.
Jim Cobb

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bismarck on March 28, 2012, 07:44:16 PM
GAW is third on my list. Initial impression: bleh as Tpek says.

Guys, I'm teaching a course and writing a paper for the American History Association conference in May so my game turn-around is slower that usual/ A MIA PC for three weeks didn't help.

So much for the quiet life of retirement, eh?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bismarck

Man, I got more rest at the office.
Jim Cobb

MIGMaster

Thanks for the update Jim ! And feel free to take a 5-minute break  ;) !!

Hartford688

I don't think they liked it:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/122/1222025p1.html

"A great idea releases as a completely unfinished game."

MIGMaster

Oh Oh.....things are not looking good at all  :(