Team Assault:Baptism of Fire

Started by tgb, March 29, 2012, 10:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

New release from Matrix/Slitherine, it appears to be a turn-based Company of Heroes.  It's only $20, but my gaming budget is limited atm, and Fall of the Samurai is more of a priority.

Who will be the guinea pig and take one for the team?

Bison

I'll most likely pick it up in a couple of weeks.  I like the idea of a squad based tactical game.

LongBlade

I requested a review copy when it came out but they didn't approve it.

Worse, apparently Matrix's press area is broken. Sometimes when requests are approved they aren't available for download.

I actually re-requested a copy of this Tuesday. I'll see if it's been approved.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

If I hear anything remotely positive about it from anyone with half a brain, I'll probably buy it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MIGMaster

Quote from: LongBlade on March 29, 2012, 10:15:34 AM

Worse, apparently Matrix's press area is broken. Sometimes when requests are approved they aren't available for download.

Things are really sliding there..... I used to consider Matrix a quality outfit, but I wasn't impressed with the support I recieved with some products and lack of patches for others. I've either had good luck or no freakn' luck at all with their releases.

undercovergeek

theres nothing on the Slitherine forums dated today about the game............ it all seems quiet, bar the announcement here i havent seen it anywhere else - noone seems to be shouting from the rooftops about it

Bison

Yeah two post over ther JH and tgb.  This does not bode well for a well supported game.

Tpek

It's finally out???
I thought the developers had forgotten of it already :D

You'd recall this game was massively discussed back then in Wargamer.com.

Nefaro

I got the impression that the Base game was just a starter type thing on the cheap, with future expansions to extend the content, kinda like FOG I guess.

Dunno how that's turned out yet.  Who's the guinea pig?

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 29, 2012, 12:43:52 PM
I got the impression that the Base game was just a starter type thing on the cheap, with future expansions to extend the content, kinda like FOG I guess.

Dunno how that's turned out yet.  Who's the guinea pig?

Currently me.
Bought the game from Matrix for 20.05$ (:P).

Bison

Quote from: MIGMaster on March 29, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on March 29, 2012, 10:15:34 AM

Things are really sliding there..... I used to consider Matrix a quality outfit, but I wasn't impressed with the support I recieved with some products and lack of patches for others. I've either had good luck or no freakn' luck at all with their releases.

Don't really want to get into conspiracy theory, but I've also noticed a marked reduction of staff interaction on the forums.  It used to be a day or two and Erik or someone would any a question in any sub-forum.  Now days questions and issues can go unanswered for weeks if ever.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on March 29, 2012, 01:25:25 PM
Don't really want to get into conspiracy theory, but I've also noticed a marked reduction of staff interaction on the forums.  It used to be a day or two and Erik or someone would any a question in any sub-forum.  Now days questions and issues can go unanswered for weeks if ever.

It's not a conspiracy. I do not hear good things from inside the Matrix halls.

My guess is that there is a consistent and deliberate neglect taking place so that it can all be absorbed into Slitherine.

Keep in mind, Slitherine is out to make money, not wargames. Their wheelhouse is making strategy games or games with a war veneer - something they do fairly well. My guess is that for the investment of money, making a game about war returns more cash than making a wargame. If that's the case you can draw a trajectory from there.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

No that was really my internal monologue regarding the situation too.  I just don't want it to be true.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on March 29, 2012, 01:32:19 PM
It's not a conspiracy. I do not hear good things from inside the Matrix halls.

My guess is that there is a consistent and deliberate neglect taking place so that it can all be absorbed into Slitherine.

Keep in mind, Slitherine is out to make money, not wargames. Their wheelhouse is making strategy games or games with a war veneer - something they do fairly well. My guess is that for the investment of money, making a game about war returns more cash than making a wargame. If that's the case you can draw a trajectory from there.

.... That really sounds bad.....  :-[

son_of_montfort

This one look fairly good when it was first announced. But the low price and lack of discussion sort of freaks me out.

BTW, I still have a press account, if you want me to try to request it for Groghead use. Maybe someone will less of a noticeable name...  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert