Team Assault:Baptism of Fire

Started by tgb, March 29, 2012, 10:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 29, 2012, 01:39:13 PM
This one look fairly good when it was first announced. But the low price and lack of discussion sort of freaks me out.

BTW, I still have a press account, if you want me to try to request it for Groghead use. Maybe someone will less of a noticeable name...  ;)

That would not hurt at all. I've been thinking that for a while, actually...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Tpek

This one look fairly good when it was first announced. But the low price and lack of discussion sort of freaks me out.

BTW, I still have a press account, if you want me to try to request it for Groghead use. Maybe someone will less of a noticeable name...  ;)

Like you already snatched Confrontation without telling us?  ;D

Gusington

FYI I tried to get a code through the Matrix account for a game thinking/hoping they wouldn't recognize me and unfortunately they did, the code never came.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Geeze as the world turns batman.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2012, 01:49:19 PM
FYI I tried to get a code through the Matrix account for a game thinking/hoping they wouldn't recognize me and unfortunately they did, the code never came.

Things could really be breaking there. The guy who used to run that section is gone, and while I've heard it's the Slitherine marketing guy who took it over, his real love is selling, not administering press copies.

Also, the Matrix IT guy is gone. There may very well be a willful neglect going on, but just as easily the talent is being driven off and unable to be quickly replaced. The result may be the same, even if the intent is different.

None of this surprises me, but it does herald the passing of an era.

Gusington

^I'm into the whole conspiracy thing this week. See my Loose Change thread for details.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on March 29, 2012, 02:00:45 PM
^I'm into the whole conspiracy thing this week. See my Loose Change thread for details.

Well then.

I'm sure if we tried we could get within seven degrees of Slitherine and the Mayans. How's that for a start?

Gusington

I'm on it. Just don't tell Gunny...he brings me back to Earth every time with his pesky "reality."

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Barely played the game but here's some initial info:

No campaign.
No Hotseat.

Just Skirmish vs AI or Multiplayer over LAN or the Internet.

For battles you pick a force and can buy some units from its roster. You can create your own customized forces with an editor outside of the game, where you can choose their uniform from a short list (some uniform cost more or less, provide different stealth modifier or protection, allow parachuting, etc...), give them some grenades, some traits (like conscripts, or battle-hardened, marksmen, etc...) and add soldiers to the unit (choosing their rank, weapon and extra equipment).

Squads seem to need activating in the game, with apparently the higher the initiative the better (higher ranked soldiers give their squads higher initiative, but cost more).

No vehicles as far as I've seen so far.

Svend Karlson

I played in the beta for a bit, and based on that experience think the game could be fantastic for PBEM multi-player.

You design your own squads up front, which can be used in multiple-matches. For each match though, you need to exchange points in order to deploy said squads. So you can design a heavy firepower team, or a team of snipers or paratroopers, but this will cost you dearly in the match. Hence having a mixed bag of elite squads and cheap grunts like Volkstrurm to provide tactical flexibility is a must. Each turn, you accrue further points to spend on purchasing squads to deploy.

The game is then all about control of territory, although achieving enemy kills helps a lot. You have control of each squad and even each member of each squad should you want it, so the game is kinda like a turn-based Men of War, although taking direct control in no way allows the kind of heroics that can be achieved in that game.

I haven't purchased yet, but plan to, and since it is Matrix may just as well do so now as wait until the annual Matrix sale. So, as soon as I buy, will be looking for opponents.

Tpek - can you confirm there is PBEM / Matrix Server multi-player? i.e. asynchronous multi-player?

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on March 29, 2012, 01:47:48 PM

That would not hurt at all. I've been thinking that for a while, actually...

I've given it a shot. Lets see what happens. If I'm lucky, I will DL the file and dropbox it with one of the other reviewers. I'm not the best man for this job.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

^I bought it too...you're so dead meat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Just played a nice medium sized skirmish.  I had fun.  Towards the end it seemed to get a little bit, "meat-grinder-ish," but overall a very positive experience.  I think there is a lot going on both underneath and over the hood.  Lots of calculations being made, like cover, concealment, ballistics/penetration, morale, injuries, etc.

One thing that miffed me though, after the skirmish, there was no debrief screen, so I had no way to know how many casualties I inflicted, or how many I sustained.  I'd like to see that added.  Otherwise, a solid investment for 19.99 and I look forward to future expansions, patches, updates, etc.  I also look forward to exploring the force builder.  I like how it takes little details like ammo caliber into account.  For instance, you can build a squad of five guys and give them pretty much whatever type of weapon you want...but if they each have a weapon that takes different ammo, then you'll carry much fewer rounds overall because your men won't be able to share.  Very important concepts in the little details.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2012, 05:33:21 PM
^I bought it too...you're so dead meat.

Actually, I put in for a press code. If I get one, I'll pass it on to a writer more suitable to oppose your strategic mind.  ;D
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

Well isn't that something... my press request got accepted within one day...  ;) LB and Gus, either of you want this one?

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert