Main Menu

Naval War Contest

Started by LongBlade, March 29, 2012, 03:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

The winner gets to fly to Bergen.

QuoteWith the first exchanges of fire in the North Atlantic soon to echo around the Arctic, the Norwegian city of Bergen will become the center of attention for an anxious world. Experts in naval warfare have been gathered there for some time, preparing cutting edge simulations of the likely outcomes of hostilities between Russia and the NATO powers. The summit will only be complete with the arrival of a new admiral to command the military forces. This beautiful and historic city will welcome only the best the sea has produced.

And what better way to determine the best than a contest? Fans of Naval War: Arctic Circle can win a trip for two to scenic Bergen, Norway, home of Turbo Tape Games – a city almost a thousand years old perched on the fjords of western Norway.

Visit the developers of Naval War: Arctic Circle in their studio and see where they have created a thrilling wargame that posits a future too real to be pure fiction.

HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST:

We want YOU to tell us why you just can't wait to play the game.
Motivated answers will have a larger chance to win. Also, you sign up for a chance to win one out of ten copies of the grand strategy game Hearts of Iron III Collection.
Submit your entry before April 9th in the thread below:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?597704-Are-you-the-admiral-that-will-travel-to-Bergen
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I just want to sink ships.  Is that too much to ask?

Tpek

Is this game even going to be any good?

From the screenshots at Gamersgate (and the price tag) it looks pretty obsolete. Very much just like Jane's Fleet Command with a reworked interface.

I do remember people back at Wargamer stating that the graphics we were shown so far have been pre-alpha ones and the devs promised better visuals, and yet
I see the pics of the release version and it still looks so 90-ish.

Jarhead0331

I've played a little with the beta. It has sort of a harpoon "lite" feel. The 3D graphics window is just a little bonus in my opinion. Its not even really necessary.  What I think the game really needs is NTDS symbology.  If you're getting the game for the 3D graphics though, just walk away. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2012, 04:48:52 PM
I've played a little with the beta. It has sort of a harpoon "lite" feel. The 3D graphics window is just a little bonus in my opinion. Its not even really necessary.  What I think the game really needs is NTDS symbology.  If you're getting the game for the 3D graphics though, just walk away.

Harpoon lite sounds really really good! I always wanted a game like this, but could never grasp Harpoon. I don't even know what NTDS means, so I guess I'll be ok without it...  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 29, 2012, 05:09:05 PM

Harpoon lite sounds really really good! I always wanted a game like this, but could never grasp Harpoon. I don't even know what NTDS means, so I guess I'll be ok without it...  ;)

NTDS: Never To be Disclosed (it's) Secret.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Nefaro

I'd also prefer seeing the NTDS symbology, or even just smaller unit symbols because those stock ones look too big.

Probably other nitpicks I'll have with the interface, but still likely pick it up sometime.

Jarhead0331

NTDS = Naval Tactical Display System
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

Harpoon lite sounds really really good! I always wanted a game like this, but could never grasp Harpoon. I don't even know what NTDS means, so I guess I'll be OK without it...  ;)

I bought Harpoon and tried to install it on my computer, the sucker never worked right out of the box. I phoned the service hotline number at 11 PM. It rang up some guy in Florida.... 2 timezones ahead of me. He wasn't happy to hear that I was having issues with running a computer game and informed me of such.

I found there website and they had a patch about a month after I had bought this game. It still locked up on occassion, but with frequent saves I managed to decimate many a NATO carrier group with massive wave attacks of backfires and subs sacrifing themselves.

Knowing how much things cost now I would not have been so free with my submarines.

It was too easy to kill the ruskies off.... their technology was just shit.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Nefaro

Quote from: Windigo on March 29, 2012, 05:55:39 PM

Harpoon lite sounds really really good! I always wanted a game like this, but could never grasp Harpoon. I don't even know what NTDS means, so I guess I'll be OK without it...  ;)

I bought Harpoon and tried to install it on my computer, the sucker never worked right out of the box. I phoned the service hotline number at 11 PM. It rang up some guy in Florida.... 2 timezones ahead of me. He wasn't happy to hear that I was having issues with running a computer game and informed me of such.

I found there website and they had a patch about a month after I had bought this game. It still locked up on occassion, but with frequent saves I managed to decimate many a NATO carrier group with massive wave attacks of backfires and subs sacrifing themselves.

Heh.  Was that one of the versions previous to Matrix carrying it, when it had that horrific phone-home DRM that wouldn't work for approximately 20 attempts and required me to restart the game over & over & over after installation? 

That angered me.

Windigo

@Nefro,
it was a very old copy of Harpoon. Was almost certainly a pre-Matrix issue.
I sometimes think back to that poor bugger getting woken up by a wargaming geek who wanted to make the damn game run!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Nefaro

Quote from: Windigo on March 29, 2012, 07:26:33 PM
@Nefro,
it was a very old copy of Harpoon. Was almost certainly a pre-Matrix issue.
I sometimes think back to that poor bugger getting woken up by a wargaming geek who wanted to make the damn game run!

LOL!

Yeah.  If I would've known I could wake up someone who had a say in that phone home DRM, that often refused to phone home, I may have tried to wake them up a few times in the middle of the night.

mirth

+1 on NTDS symbols. Hope they add them at some point. That's more important to me than the 3D graphics.

I'm looking forward to this game. The Harpoon "lite" concept is appealing. I enjoyed Fleet Command back in the day even though it was a buggy mess (seems to be a common theme in naval wargames). The $20 price tag makes it worth a try.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Fetrik on March 29, 2012, 03:57:15 PM
Here's a short mission video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgA5OR6gie8&context=C421944eADvjVQa1PpcFMYUCBevzcqKXJ0DdsdEXMB2pKJPqJ6FBM=

Thanks for posting the link. The more I see of the 2D symbols, the less I care for them.

I loved how the guy play testing the scenario refers to the Russian Mainstay AWACs as a "Giant flying radar plane". Very hardcore.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus