Main Menu

Naval War Contest

Started by LongBlade, March 29, 2012, 03:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'm stoked for this game.  The naval warfare genre is one that I literally have no dedicated games for mostly because of the horror stories I've heard about Harpoon.

RooksBailey

I just did a brief interview with Jan Haugland of Turbo Tape Games (one of the devs of Naval War).  He answered a few questions about the game:

http://gamesquad.com/feature/interview-turbo-tape-games

I wasn't all that interested when the game was first announced, but it is sounding better and better to me. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Stryker07

I've been part of the beta team on this one for a few months now. Having watched the game evolve into what it is now, and being a part of the process, my opinion is slanted. I admit this, so take that into account with what I say as well to be objective. In 10 years, instead of Fleet Command, people will be nostalgic about NWAC. I believe this, I really do. I am the ultimate ADHD game. I own hundred, play like 10 different ones a day for 20 minutes or so each. I have been playing this game steady for months, if that says anything. It 'feels' more realistic then FC, and the interface is slick and very modern. The battle results I get seem plausible, and real world tactics will get you good results. I live right down the road from Bath Iron Works, and generations of my family have worked there building ships and/or served on board those same ships in the Navy. Seeing the Bath built DDG Winston S Churchill letting loose a barrage of SM-2s defending the CVN group, or sending a wave of Harpoons over the horizon at an enemy target, gets me my warm and fuzzy on!!!!

I think you guys will like this one, give the demo a chance when it's released. For the price their asking you can't go wrong.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

son_of_montfort

^ Nice to know! The way I feel about it is that the price of admission is worth a shot. I'm surprised at the low cost here, to be honest.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Dimitris

I think the modern air/naval wargaming scene is due for a resurgence this year. Global Conflict Blue 2 is getting more impressive with each release (and it's free!), NWAC is definitely promising and looks set to re-unite the FC faithful, Command is on the horizon and who knows maybe even AGSI may feel the heat enough to make a better Harpoon.

Good times.

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

mirth

Quote from: RooksBailey on March 31, 2012, 01:25:28 AM
I just did a brief interview with Jan Haugland of Turbo Tape Games (one of the devs of Naval War).  He answered a few questions about the game:

http://gamesquad.com/feature/interview-turbo-tape-games

I wasn't all that interested when the game was first announced, but it is sounding better and better to me. 

Nice interview, Scott. Good to see you hanging out here as well as GS.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: Stryker07 on March 31, 2012, 08:20:57 AM
I've been part of the beta team on this one for a few months now. Having watched the game evolve into what it is now, and being a part of the process, my opinion is slanted. I admit this, so take that into account with what I say as well to be objective. In 10 years, instead of Fleet Command, people will be nostalgic about NWAC. I believe this, I really do. I am the ultimate ADHD game. I own hundred, play like 10 different ones a day for 20 minutes or so each. I have been playing this game steady for months, if that says anything. It 'feels' more realistic then FC, and the interface is slick and very modern. The battle results I get seem plausible, and real world tactics will get you good results. I live right down the road from Bath Iron Works, and generations of my family have worked there building ships and/or served on board those same ships in the Navy. Seeing the Bath built DDG Winston S Churchill letting loose a barrage of SM-2s defending the CVN group, or sending a wave of Harpoons over the horizon at an enemy target, gets me my warm and fuzzy on!!!!

I think you guys will like this one, give the demo a chance when it's released. For the price their asking you can't go wrong.

Stryker that's cool that you live and Bath and have a connection to the shipyard. Those Burke class destroyers rock. I watched the launching of one them several years ago (forget which it was). I'm glad the Navy decided to continue production.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus