Warhammer 40K MMO loses the MMO and 120 employees

Started by son_of_montfort, March 29, 2012, 05:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Sad news coming out of Eurogamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/29/warhammer-40k-dark-millennium-no-longer-an-mmo/

No more WH40K MMORPG, but the bright side is that they MIGHT make it into a single player RPG. While I enjoyed Space Marine, I really would love a deeper and more fleshed out WH40K experience.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Seriously...this strikes me as good news.  I'd much prefer a single-player RPG experience in the 40K universe to an MMO.  Sorry for those who got canned, but as a gamer, YAY!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 29, 2012, 05:29:30 PM
Seriously...this strikes me as good news.  I'd much prefer a single-player RPG experience in the 40K universe to an MMO.  Sorry for those who got canned, but as a gamer, YAY!

I have serious doubts as to whether an MMO client could quickly be turned into an interesting single-player game, though.  :(

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on March 29, 2012, 07:26:36 PM

I have serious doubts as to whether an MMO client could quickly be turned into an interesting single-player game, though.  :(

I guess it all depends upon how far they got in the coding process?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Fetrik

Hmmm.. If they have designed a large world, maybe it will be similar to Skyrim. :D

Arctic Blast

THQ carving employees out of the few actually successful studios, Relic and Volition, to that degree is definitely not a good sign.  :(

son_of_montfort

I don't think there is anything "quick" about their plan. The article says they questioned the viability of their original plan for the MMORPG. So I'm guessing this one is still fairly in early production.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Arctic Blast

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 29, 2012, 11:49:03 PM

I don't think there is anything "quick" about their plan. The article says they questioned the viability of their original plan for the MMORPG. So I'm guessing this one is still fairly in early production.

Except that their stated reason for no follow up for Space Marine was that most of the people who would work on that were developing the MMO. Who knows?

Centurion40

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 29, 2012, 11:44:37 PM
THQ carving employees out of the few actually successful studios, Relic and Volition, to that degree is definitely not a good sign.  :(

The taint of Chaos is upon them.

Personally, I don't believe that there is enough of a WH40K market out there to make a MMO viable against more popular franchises like WoW or Star Wars.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Nefaro

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 30, 2012, 12:32:05 PM

Personally, I don't believe that there is enough of a WH40K market out there to make a MMO viable against more popular franchises like WoW or Star Wars.

The Star Wars MMO has been bleeding customers a good deal just because of it's dull & uninspired game mechanics, not to mention unfinished pvp.  So the IP alone doesn't necessarily clinch all the MMO players. 

I suspect this one was canned due to the huge investment required to finish it, and add all the content.  Let's just hope that it's not 10 hours of MMO quests that taper off before you ever hit a level cap, since the content obviously isn't there right now.  ;D

Centurion40

I would think that the average potential MMO customer is more interested in the brand than the game mechanics.  IMHO, the average customer would not ponder it past "this sucks" or "this is kewl".

The fact that the Star Wars (huge brand recognition) MMO is failing would be a burning red flag to the investors in the WH40K MMO.

I love the WH40K brand.  It's sad that this effort has been tossed in the dumpster.  It's sad that Space Marine didn't make the top 10 in sales for 2011.  But there it is.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 30, 2012, 12:59:02 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on March 30, 2012, 12:32:05 PM

Do you still play SWTOR?
Frankly, I've barely been giving it time lately.
I've been both put off by the lack of any progress in the rather bland game, and the way they keep having "Free Weekends", letting everyone play at the expense of those
who actually pay for the game.
The Star Wars MMO has been bleeding customers a good deal just because of it's dull & uninspired game mechanics, not to mention unfinished pvp.  So the IP alone doesn't necessarily clinch all the MMO players. 

I suspect this one was canned due to the huge investment required to finish it, and add all the content.  Let's just hope that it's not 10 hours of MMO quests that taper off before you ever hit a level cap, since the content obviously isn't there right now.  ;D

Centurion40

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 30, 2012, 01:40:27 PM
I've never played a MMO.  :-[

you absolutely are missing out on good times....  World of Warcrack is a great place to go
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.