Combat Mission: Touch...?

Started by Staggerwing, April 01, 2012, 12:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Wow.
I'd hate to think that this is an April Fools joke but there are some clues it might be.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=291&Itemid=502

I guess we'll know tomorrow. This sure would boost iPad sales among some of you fence sitters out there.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

That's awesome. Yes, it's a joke.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

If this is really a joke, pretty ellaborate....posted in the itunes australian store.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/combat-mission-touch/id496265964

jomni

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on April 01, 2012, 08:35:04 PM
Anyone bought it yet?

I tried. You have to be from Oz to get it on the Apple Store-AU. My ID is only good for US purchases. >:(
It should be April 2 in Scandinavia already so why don't you grab it? It was only $5.49 AUD... ;)

Slitherine is going to be pissed off about that price...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Staggerwing

More info from Moon at Battlefront:
http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1354271&postcount=7
QuoteYep, the iPad 2 is a great platform and powerful compared to earlier tablets, but We are quite a ways away from being able to play CMBN on it. Make no mistake though, CMTouch is pushing the envelope of what you can get as an app these days. It offers 4sqkm maps for example. This isn't just some bra spitting-range RTS!

No editors. 7 missions included in the app. It is all in the announcement.

Not sure yet what scenario packs will cost, we'll see. But certainly less than the full game, so 0.99 or 1.99 is much more likely than 4.99

Martin

Did I mention Slitherine...?

Kushan

Looks like it isn't a joke, It now shows up on the app store on my new iPad.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Sigma One

Yep, its real!

Downloading it now to give it a go. From the page it says it comes with just 7 missions, with more being available as in-game purchase.

jomni

I can't buy because I only have iPad 1.  The game is for iPad 2 and above. :(

The price may be cheap compared to Battle Academy but there's only a few scenarios.  You buy additional content when it becomes available.

Slitherine's Battle Academy costs $20 but it has all missions and campaigns from all the current PC add-ons, ability to download user-made content, and a seamless multiplayer to boot.  And there's little difference from the PC version.

By the way, how's the multiplayer?

Sigma One

I'm suspecting the servers must be getting hammered because I can't get my download to start even. I'm literally tapping my modem with my iPad.

Then again it is AT&T U-Verse so maybe it's found a way to screw me over.

Staggerwing

I just D/Led it and played two turns of the Uncle Red Beach Mission to try it out. I can see why BF went with WEGO only
as this type of game would be unmanageable in real time mode. The graphics are more basic than CM:BN but actually not
bad considering the differences in horsepower between a good PC and the iPad. The familiar 'coin' indicators are there and
they are a must for selection since the units are TINY at even moderate zoom (10" screen, eh?). The pop-up orders menu
is nice and simple, with Move, Move Fast, Target, Hunt, Cancel, etc. When I activated an observer unit with both PzFaust and
off-board 105mm Arty the friendly AI made the choice of which was appropriate. All in all, I'm impressed so far. If this game
were available on one of those Microsoft Tabletop touch-screen computers it would be like playing with minis without all the
painting or the tape measure!

Barthheart

Quote from: jomni on April 02, 2012, 01:46:37 AM
Slitherine's Battle Academy costs $20 but it has all missions and campaigns from all the current PC add-ons,...

Not correct. The $20 gets you the same as the base PC game. Each of the 3 expansions, France 1940, Market Garden, and Sealion, cost an additional $9.99 as in app purchases.

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on April 02, 2012, 01:46:37 AM
I can't buy because I only have iPad 1.  The game is for iPad 2 and above. :(

Bummer. I'm in the same boat.

However, I'm eager to see what comes out with Win 8. That will probably be my next big tech expenditure.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

Re: Battle Academy.  Ok you're right.  I assumed they're there because you can select.  But apparently you need to buy to play. Sneaky!

Sigma One

Is it just me or is the camera a bit touchy? Then again most games on the iPad have a weird touchy camera.