Warlock 2 where you battle on shards. Seriously?

Started by W8taminute, March 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I've been reading up on Steam about Warlock 2 and I'm really turn off violently actually about the fact that the game is now played on shards.  Really?  Wasn't there some other magic strategy game where you battled on shards that was a dismal failure? 

Well I was really pumped about getting this game but this shard things is a colossal turn off for me.  Could those of you who have played the early access version comment?

Thanks  8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Steelgrave

Honestly, I haven't seen anything about Warlock 2 that makes me want to buy it. I played Warlock through a couple of times, enjoyed it, then put it away for later. If I get the urge, I'll fire it up again, but War2 is leaving me cold so far.

undercovergeek

I haven't played but I think this maybe just semantics..... the campaign is split up into different world maps and they've used shards to demonstrate this..... if you read the rps play through or watch the let's play on YouTube you'll see it's just a function to desperate the map worlds, they could have said planets and you'd still want to buy it

son_of_montfort

Nope, UCG, you play a single campaign by traveling from shard to shard through magic portals. Actually, it works quite well, as each of the shards have different types of terrain that offer different benefits and challenges. For instance, in desert terrain you have less farming fertility, but you have certain natural resources open. In snow, again farming is hard, but you can get iron and donkeys for armor and donkey knights.

It all works together smoothly and the shards are fairly seamless. You just send your units through the magic portal and they enter into a new world. The shards are large enough to allow for fighting between factions but small enough to not be an entire CIV map each.

Not sure why the shards would be a huge turn off, it makes the game much more unique.

BTW, for those that DO want to purchase it, use the 20% off coupon at greenmangaming.com or Gamefly.com.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

undercovergeek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 23, 2014, 01:46:20 PM
Nope, UCG, you play a single campaign by traveling from shard to shard through magic portals. Actually, it works quite well, as each of the shards have different types of terrain that offer different benefits and challenges. For instance, in desert terrain you have less farming fertility, but you have certain natural resources open. In snow, again farming is hard, but you can get iron and donkeys for armor and donkey knights.

It all works together smoothly and the shards are fairly seamless. You just send your units through the magic portal and they enter into a new world. The shards are large enough to allow for fighting between factions but small enough to not be an entire CIV map each.

Not sure why the shards would be a huge turn off, it makes the game much more unique.

BTW, for those that DO want to purchase it, use the 20% off coupon at greenmangaming.com or Gamefly.com.

That sounds even better than I thought!

Barthheart

I think, if I read the blurbs right, there is a sandbox mode where you can battle it out on a large world with various terrain like the old one.... is this correct? Anyone got it yet?

Me, the shard thing turned me off as well. I'd probably never play the campaign mode... I think I'll pass or wait until it's really cheap... or someone here gives a better picture of what is really offered.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

A shard is a self-contained manifestation of a particular place, like another dimension. I know it has some kind of programing-lingo origin but I'm only familiar with it's use in online games. In the game Uru (part of the Myst franchise) a shard was a particular instance of the game running on a particular server.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

donkey_roxor

Quote from: Gusington on March 23, 2014, 03:25:01 PM
WTF is a shard?
Quote from: Staggerwing on March 23, 2014, 03:32:34 PM
A shard is a self-contained manifestation of a particular place, like another dimension. I know it has some kind of programing-lingo origin but I'm only familiar with it's use in online games. In the game Uru (part of the Myst franchise) a shard was a particular instance of the game running on a particular server.

I think in this context it's supposed to be a smaller, broken-off piece of a once-larger world. Sometimes each shard is connected to other shards (other pieces of the same world) via portals and the like. Think Eador if you're familiar with it.

Gusington

From the above descriptions it sounds like an evolution of the underworld ideas from the original Warlock game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: donkey_roxor on March 23, 2014, 03:34:05 PM

I think in this context it's supposed to be a smaller, broken-off piece of a once-larger world. Sometimes each shard is connected to other shards (other pieces of the same world) via portals and the like. Think Eador if you're familiar with it.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check out Eador then. Hel, I'd not be surprised if it was already in my Steam or Gamersgate backlog...  ::)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

The "shard" feature is just a replacement for the multiple planes/worlds in the first one, which people often didn't bother using.  Now they've just implemented them as progressive worlds to conquer on your way to ultimate victory.  So instead of being some optional sideshow you don't need to visit, you actually have to.

It's probably a good move because many felt that the extra planes in the first game were wasted or not worth the trouble.  I believe they attempted to make them more attractive in later updates but dunno if it was ever really successful.  At least with this new setup, we'll get a variety of environments in each campaign.  My only concern is how large each 'shard' map is because if they're too small then that would probably have an effect on the core gameplay.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Big turn off for me as well.  I hated the other planes in Warlock and avoided going through portals.  I'm going with the wait-and-see approach rather than early purchase for this one now.

bbmike

The campaign is played on shards. You can still play like Warlock 1 in sandbox mode. You are given the option to choose how to play when the game starts.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on March 23, 2014, 06:57:27 PM
The campaign is played on shards. You can still play like Warlock 1 in sandbox mode. You are given the option to choose how to play when the game starts.

This. 

It has both options.