Warlock 2 where you battle on shards. Seriously?

Started by W8taminute, March 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Ok, so in Warlock 2, I can choose to play a sandbox game on a normal map instead of shards?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on March 23, 2014, 10:15:13 PM
Ok, so in Warlock 2, I can choose to play a sandbox game on a normal map instead of shards?

Yeah.  At least, that's what I saw mentioned in a preview playthrough video on the 'Tube.  There is an extra campaign setup option.

FlickJax

So many negative waves - :( I will buy it though

Tpek

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 23, 2014, 03:32:34 PM
A shard is a self-contained manifestation of a particular place, like another dimension. I know it has some kind of programing-lingo origin but I'm only familiar with it's use in online games. In the game Uru (part of the Myst franchise) a shard was a particular instance of the game running on a particular server.

It was originally an instance of a world of a MMORPG game.
It originated with Ultima Online, where according to the intro, some important magical crystal was shattered into many shards, and now each of these contained a separate copy of the world.
I.E it was a way to justify the use of several "servers" and why not all the players were playing on the same server.

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on March 24, 2014, 12:22:47 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 23, 2014, 10:15:13 PM

Yeah.  At least, that's what I saw mentioned in a preview playthrough video on the 'Tube.  There is an extra campaign setup option.

Yes, that's how I'm playing my current game. It's just like a game of Warlock 1 so far but with the new research tree and other stuff. The only question I have is will the AI be any better than in Warlock 1.  ???
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

I played most of my games of Warlock against MetalDog, Bartheart and a few others here...I think I only played one game against the AI.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on March 24, 2014, 05:27:31 AM
The only question I have is will the AI be any better than in Warlock 1.  ???

Yeah, wondering about the AI too.  Also how many new monsters/units there will be.

W8taminute

Quote from: FlickJax on March 24, 2014, 03:01:17 AM
So many negative waves - :( I will buy it though

Yeah I'm sorry I started the discussion off with some heavy negative waves.  I'm a passionate gamer and I like to go over the top when I explain likes or dislikes so don't get bummed out by me.   :)

That being said however I see I'm not alone in my thoughts about shards.   If indeed you can play on a normal map without the new shard mechanic then it's a day one purchase for me.  Otherwise I'll wait until the game is in the bargain bin or MetalDog twists my arm really hard.

This shard concept is like island hopping to me.  When I want to engage in that kind of war I'll play WitP Admirals edition but not in a fantasy game.  To each his own as they say... 8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

PanzersEast

While this may turn out to be a good game, I pre-ordered Age of Wonders III instead.  After watching some LPs and reading on it it, it seems to be the new go to game for fantasy strategy.  It appears that Fallen Enchantress will be dethroned for me.  AOW III graphics are amazing and the detail put into the game seems to not have failed the community. 

PE

Greybriar

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 25, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
While this may turn out to be a good game, I pre-ordered Age of Wonders III instead....

So did I. I will most likely buy Warlock II sometime in the not-too-distant future, but not now.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

FlickJax

Quote from: Greybriar on March 25, 2014, 12:20:45 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on March 25, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
While this may turn out to be a good game, I pre-ordered Age of Wonders III instead....

So did I. I will most likely buy Warlock II sometime in the not-too-distant future, but not now.

Got to admit I will buy but my immediate funds have gone to age of wonders....

Nefaro

LOL!

That's why they announced the Early Access for Warlock 2, I'm sure.  To try & beat AoW3 to a release date.  A good strategy but Warlock 2 looks similar enough to the original Warlock to not put a fire under my ass just yet.  As with everyone else, I will probably get AOW3 first and then Warlock 2 in another month or two.  Too bad AOW3 didn't have an early access, as I'm still hesitant to pre-order the thing.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on March 25, 2014, 03:17:41 PM
LOL!

That's why they announced the Early Access for Warlock 2, I'm sure.  To try & beat AoW3 to a release date.  A good strategy but Warlock 2 looks similar enough to the original Warlock to not put a fire under my ass just yet.  As with everyone else, I will probably get AOW3 first and then Warlock 2 in another month or two.  Too bad AOW3 didn't have an early access, as I'm still hesitant to pre-order the thing.

I will get Warlock 2, but probably on sale down the road...... after watching some videos and commentary, it was enough to sale me to pre-purchase.

PE

Nefaro

I dunno if I'll wait that long for Warlock 2.  I am interested in some of the new content.  I just have so much to play right now, new games aren't high on my list.  However, AOW3 is higher on it.

tgb

I hadn't planned to buy this until it was a lot cheaper, but the good reports and GMG sale forced my hand. I'll consider it the appetizer to AOW 3's main course.

Anyway, I'm liking it more than I thought I would. Yes, it's about 70% MOTS, but I really like the 30% that isn't, especially the frequent random events, the interface improvements, and the new research tree. I don't even mind the whole shard thing as much as I thought I would.