Warlock 2 where you battle on shards. Seriously?

Started by W8taminute, March 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Looks like we may have a good old fashioned steel cage match between Warlock 2 and Age of Wonders III...two games enter, one game leaves!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I only played a little of AOW: shadow magic and Warlock (1) but I think AoW3 will have more depth and detail. Truthfully, I like what little I have seen of warlock 2 but it seems to be a game that doesn't take itself to seriously. Their aim isn't numbers, details and tactics, it's fun and a few laughs.

So I think there is room for both!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MetalDog

Steam says that I have played AoW: Shadow Magic for 18 hours and have two Friends that also play it.  Steam also says, that I have played Warlock: Master of the Arcane for 476 hours and have 22 Friends that also play it.  Don't let that be an indictment of AoW.  I liked it, but Warlock came along and was similar enough in feel and game play for me, that I stuck with Warlock.  I will buy Warlock 2, mostly because it is almost expected of me to.  I really hope I like it.  But if I don't, it's good to know that the new Age of Wonders is out there to pick up the slack.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

I suspect that, like many here, I'll end up getting Warlock 2 eventually...just not right now. 

I still wish there were more paths to victory than plain-old "conquer/kill everyone else", but I can't criticize this game simply for not catering to my personal desires (sort of like how I'm not a fan of Sword of the Stars or Sins of a Solar Empire, but I still recognize they're both good space strategy games -- they're just not for me, is all).  Overall, this series has (thus far) received almost-universally positive feedback (if not egregiously so) from just about any/every-one I know who's played it, and that counts for a lot in my book.  So even if it winds up not really being my cup of tea, this one will still probably end up on my list of games owned sooner or later. 

In the meantime, I'm still enjoying Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, and Age of Wonders 3 releases in just five more days.  8) 

Quote from: Gusington on March 25, 2014, 06:18:42 PM
Looks like we may have a good old fashioned steel cage match between Warlock 2 and Age of Wonders III...two games enter, one game leaves!
We could even potentially be looking at a 3-way contest, depending on when Worlds of Magic gets released.  I'm just about quivering with excitement/anticipation! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

steve58

I was so trying to hold off on getting Warlock 2 just yet :-\, but GMG just sent me a 25% off voucher :-*  Its definitely going to test my resolve...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I only played Warlock for about a dozen hours, and mostly in MP. Definitely getting AoW III first...it will be my first foray into the series.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I will buy both... Of course..if I can ever get on Steam
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

45 turns in I accepted an alliance offer from one of the other mages, which allowed me to see his territory.  He had about 9 or 10 fortress cities, pop 1, spread over 2 shards.  I don't see how you can even do this in under 50 turns unless the A.I. was getting a LOT of help.

This is on Normal difficulty, by the way.  I think I'm going to shelve the game until this is addressed, either with a patch or me being proven wrong.

MetalDog

It's fairly easy to do that it in Warlock 1, tgb.  Spamming cities is actually the best strategy in this game.  At least the first iteration.  Haven't played 2 yet.

tgb

Quote from: MetalDog on March 27, 2014, 06:13:16 AM
It's fairly easy to do that it in Warlock 1, tgb.  Spamming cities is actually the best strategy in this game.  At least the first iteration.  Haven't played 2 yet.

Perhaps, but the shards are pretty heavily populated with monsters, not to mention the scripted attacks by the Foozle designed to set you back.  There's also a fairly powerful creature guarding each shard gate (although with luck that creature can be disposed of without combat)..  I just don't see how the A.I can build up enough economy to support an army plus 9 or 10 settlers with everything else going on.

MetalDog

Quote from: tgb on March 27, 2014, 07:07:20 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on March 27, 2014, 06:13:16 AM

Perhaps, but the shards are pretty heavily populated with monsters, not to mention the scripted attacks by the Foozle designed to set you back.  There's also a fairly powerful creature guarding each shard gate (although with luck that creature can be disposed of without combat)..  I just don't see how the A.I can build up enough economy to support an army plus 9 or 10 settlers with everything else going on.

Thanks for the insight.  Once I get my new computer, I will be able to buy and play Warlock 2.  Looking forward to it.

FarAway Sooner

TGB, if I'm not mistaken, in the original game, some wizards have a skill pick where Monsters won't attack them.  I think.  That could be what they're doing here.  Or I could be thinking of another game. (I know FELH has something similar in the "Scout" racial ability)

Quote from: W8taminute on March 23, 2014, 01:03:25 PM
I've been reading up on Steam about Warlock 2 and I'm really turn off violently actually about the fact that the game is now played on shards.  Really?  Wasn't there some other magic strategy game where you battled on shards that was a dismal failure? 

Well I was really pumped about getting this game but this shard things is a colossal turn off for me.  Could those of you who have played the early access version comment?

Thanks  8)

Eador: Masters of the Broken World wasn't so much a dismal failure, as just the best game that wasn't quite.  It was an awesome game concept, blending together all sorts of cool stuff.  I've been following the genre closely for 20 years now, and it had the potential to be the true successor to Heroes of Might & Magic.

Sadly, the game was a buggy mess upon release and, while they've been enthusiastically patching it ever since, the patch process has been erratic at best.  Almost a year after release, the game still suffers stability and reliability issues for a number of users, and each new patch breaks at least one or two things.

It's still fun to play.  But the technical issues have, I think, prevented it from achieving at least "cult classic" status.

Capn Darwin

The wife and I like the new game. The shards and gates does pose a new challenge/headache of dealing with what is on the other side. You have to manage cities, forts, shrines and towns to keep your gold, food, mana going to deal with the ever growing landscape to control. The Other mages working for the main bad guy can suck. Terraforming is important on both the offensive and defensive side of things early. I like the city management and the unrest bar. You can overload and handle more cities if you have shrines and other perks going. Captured cities generate unrest for a number of turns and under perform in resources until it clears. Heroes are back and so are items to load them up with. Just need to spend wisely.

On the bad side right now there are a few things. The diplomacy system is broken. You have some options to make friends but no way to stop a war until the AI comes to the table and there is no way to adjust their offer. Take it or leave it. AI also shifts quickly from alliance to war without a clear reason. I'll chalk this up to being a beta and hope this really gets worked out well for the main release. You also find these runes to place in spells to add or alter effects/casting  time/cost. In most cases it is hare to even use them when it is a 10% boost to life magic for a 10% casting time increase. When minor heal is 12 points, a 1.2 point boost for what will be a 2 turn cast is not helpful. Even a stretch on the normal heal. I think these items need some tweaking. One thing I would like to see is the units you get from looting locations not cost me resources or have a reduced impact. You can go from having a gold and food surplus to negative after clearing out one of the pop-up raids. Nice to have the extra units but maybe give me a choice between the unit or some mana/gold/food too.

Still a lot of fun and with this change in style it takes more game turns to win. Also a good thing. My 2 cents. Enjoy!
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Pocus

Can one of you with the game can look at the game files and see if there is some modding possibilities?

Capn Darwin

Sounds like it will ship with a map editor, appears to have an effects editor too. No visible data or editor.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.