Falcon 5.0 Confirmed

Started by Jarhead0331, August 17, 2023, 08:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

"What is new will become old. What is old will become new again". Quote from my ex-wife when I used to tell her why I would be late coming home from work at night. When was the original Falcon, what year? 80 Something?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CaptainKoloth

The way I read it was almost a more aspirational "we think it would be cool to do this and are serious about putting money towards it" rather than that they have any substantive group of developers working on it yet. Hopefully I'm entirely wrong.

Skoop

If BMS can accomplish what they do with 4.0 for free, imagine what could be done if money was thrown their way.  A modern version of falcon could be great, apparently it's still the best dynamic campaign engine, so if 5.0 adds modern UI and vulkan graphics, it'll be well worth it. 

Destraex

They talked about the F35, which instantly made me think low fidelity.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Skoop on August 17, 2023, 06:02:49 PMIf BMS can accomplish what they do with 4.0 for free, imagine what could be done if money was thrown their way.  A modern version of falcon could be great, apparently it's still the best dynamic campaign engine, so if 5.0 adds modern UI and vulkan graphics, it'll be well worth it. 

We have no indication as of yet that the BMS team has anything to do with it. All we know is the new Microprose entity bought rights to the name. I'm not trying to rain on the parade- I'd be over the moon for a new quality Falcon game- but I do think it's important we set expectations commensurate with the very little information we actually have - to wit, that a new company that bought rights to the Microprose name, and has no track record of creating flight sims, also bought rights to the Falcon name and has expressed that one day they will do another Falcon game.

To be sure, I love what the new Microprose is doing and they've already picked up some of the games I'm most excited about - Task Force Admiral, Sea Power - but there just isn't much here for us to go on. I've been disappointed enough times in life now that I've become old and grumpy and skeptical about everything.

Destraex

I think it is wiser to be skeptical and grumpy than excited and disappointed. The alternative is to set your standards so low that you love everything in a flurry of ignorant bliss. I know a guy that will say, "well I liked it", anytime asked about a movie, TV series and usually computer games. I guess it is a good way to be. But to me it just feels like he is being led down the garden path.

I guess for me a game usually has to improve on what I have played before so that there are new things to experience. When I see games that are simplified for the markets sake, well those games generally just don't offer anything to me.

Now when it comes to Task Force Admiral, I am interested because I don't think I have played a carrier game properly for a very long time. It's real time and I love carriers. Command Modern Operations is not 3D and so you cannot enjoy the models and nor is rule the waves 3. I wanted to get into War in the Pacific but just never seem to find the time to learn it.. no 3D here either. Task Force Admiral might scratch an itch I have had since the movies, Tora Tora Tora, Midway (new one) and inspire me to read the silver waterfall novel which I have owned for a while. I am a little worried though that it will be too small in scope because carrier warfare encompasses the world. Carriers are strategic pieces and like whales they can end up anywhere in the world. Games that set piece you to oblivion without letting you build carriers on the strategic side or at least control the race for repair and construction will generally have no context or stakes. Making them pretty pointless apart from watching aircraft take off after randomly spotting enemy ships.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

The biggest question mark for me is Microprose. I've said it a few times and I'm not trying to stoke the ire of the Admiral, but since David Lagettie acquired the brand in 2018, or so, there have been some big announcements regarding many of the old classics, but very little to show. I'm supporting the rebirth of this company wholeheartedly, but until one of the old greats is actually released and is a faithful recreation, I'm definitely going to be a skeptic.

I've asked Microprose several times for an interview with David, and although there was interest expressed, nothing has transpired.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 18, 2023, 08:35:35 AMThe biggest question mark for me is Microprose. I've said it a few times and I'm not trying to stoke the ire of the Admiral, but since David Lagettie acquired the brand in 2018, or so, there have been some big announcements regarding many of the old classics, but very little to show. I'm supporting the rebirth of this company wholeheartedly, but until one of the old greats is actually released and is a faithful recreation, I'm definitely going to be a skeptic.

I've asked Microprose several times for an interview with David, and although there was interest expressed, nothing has transpired.

That's pretty much the boat I'm in as well.

And hence I get annoyed when some other sites treat stories like this as "FALCON 5 CONFIRMED VR SWITCH-ACCURATE F-35 DCS KILLER 2023!!!!!!!!" Buying rights is cheap. Announcing you're going to do something amazing with those rights is free. Actually doing something amazing is extremely difficult and rare.

DetCord

David Lagettie, ugh.

I think people should do some research on the man, his past statements, his current vision, and where he wants to take past titles as future ventures with regards to Microprose.

There was a dude over at Hoggit a few years back that worked with him (verified) during the initial stages of the work-up to the next iteration of the Strategic Bombing (Bloody 100th) series. Needless to say, he and his co-workers were not impressed by his grandiose statements, simplification/gamification of systems, and monetization and live-service aspects he wanted included.

Grain of salt and all that...