The Summer of 82

Started by mirth, July 30, 2015, 11:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Blade Runner. The Thing. Poltergeist. E.T, the Extra-Terrestrial. Tron. And of course

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2015/07/30/_1982_sci_fi_summer.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The Thing was crap.  The rest of those were pretty good, though.  I was in California - Ft Ord.  Only time in my life I was in school on my birthday until a summer session in grad school.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 11:26:59 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 11:25:47 AM
The Thing was crap.

<smh>

+1

Strange that such an old movie has special effects that, for me anyway, still hold up well even to this day. And no CGI crap, either.

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 11:25:47 AM
The Thing was crap.

Wuuuuuuut?!!   That movie is still great.

We're gonna send an awesomely bearded Kurt Russell to eliminate you for such heresy.

This was such a great thread until that point. 
"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!"
:P

Nefaro

On another note: 

It's amazing how much of a sci-fi rush sprung out of the $uccess of the original Star Wars.   That's not to say it created the genre, but it certainly pushed the film industry, and others, to invest more effort into producing them.

After it's 1977 craze, the media was flooded with those attempting to jump on the bandwagon.  With varied results.  But for years it continued, and we got wonderful stuff like these.  So, yeah, thank you again Star Wars movie.

There was a lull in decent sci-fi movies in the 90s and 00s, but that trend looks to be slowly reversing in recent years.  Especially since zombies, the supernatural, post-apoc, and true sci-fi like Guardians Of The Galaxy have become so popular.  Sure, there are plenty of shitty remakes which lose part of the original's vibe, but at least we're getting some these days.  There for awhile, it was rather barren.

BanzaiCat

Krull remains one of my favorites from the early 80s.

Gusington

Wasn't Tron in 1982 also? Maybe not the summer.

Poltergeist is still scary. And the Mom in it is still hot. Way to go Craig T. Nelson!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

iMDB says Tron was released July 9, 1982.  Spot on, Gus!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 01:44:53 PMWasn't Tron in 1982 also? Maybe not the summer.

ahem

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 11:10:42 AMBlade Runner. The Thing. Poltergeist. E.T, the Extra-Terrestrial. Tron
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Centurion40

Although it was released in March 1982, Porky's could still be seen at drive-ins in the summer of '82.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 30, 2015, 02:56:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 30, 2015, 01:44:53 PMWasn't Tron in 1982 also? Maybe not the summer.

ahem

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 11:10:42 AMBlade Runner. The Thing. Poltergeist. E.T, the Extra-Terrestrial. Tron

Thank you

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 30, 2015, 02:58:29 PM
Although it was released in March 1982, Porky's could still be seen at drive-ins in the summer of '82.

Not sure Porky's makes it into the sci-fi genre.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Thing was great.  Now, E.T....that sucked balls.

Barthheart