Mr. Plinkett reviews Star Trek.

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, August 08, 2015, 05:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I always enjoy this guy's reviews.  I still hate this movie though.

mirth

I agree with pretty much all his points. That first Trek reboot was pretty good, but you have to let go of what you think of as Trek.

Into Darkness was a waste of time and I have my doubts about the next one.

It's time for a new tv show that hews closer to classic Trek.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 11:54:26 AM

It's time for a new tv show that hews closer to classic Trek.

Good luck with that.  The hardcore PC-brainwashed Trekkies, from the TNG and on generation, would have a shit fit if we got enjoyable characters such as the old Kirk and Bones.

mirth

I'd like to see a show with a female equivalent of Kirk as Captain. Janeway was more of a Picard-type.

It's time for the Star Trek version of Ellen Ripley.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 06:13:11 PM
I'd like to see a show with a female equivalent of Kirk as Captain. Janeway was more of a Picard-type.

Hell yes! Kate Vernon from Star Trek Axanar needs her own show!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on August 10, 2015, 06:40:10 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 06:13:11 PM

Hell yes! Kate Vernon from Star Trek Axanar needs her own show!  O0

Dude. You totally just nailed it!

mirth

What do the Klingons call her? Queen whore-bitch of the Federation? Give her a show!!!

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 06:57:36 PM
What do the Klingons call her? Queen whore-bitch of the Federation? Give her a show!!!

;D I'd Kickstart that!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on August 10, 2015, 07:22:37 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 10, 2015, 06:57:36 PM

;D I'd Kickstart that!

Star Trek: Queen Whore-Bitch of the Federation.

I'm writing the check now.

Huw the Poo

You can all kiss my hairy arse!  As a Trekkie from the TOS days I think the rebooted films are brilliant.  And it hasn't escaped my notice in other threads that a lot of you seem to want a "Star Trek war film".  Pfft.  Now that would be pissing on the franchise. :P

RooksBailey

His stuff is always funny, but he does a better job when reviewing a bad film that he really hates.  I would love for him to take apart Prometheus.  That was Ridley Scott's version of the Star Wars Prequels. 

As for the ST reboots, I thought they were needless cash-grabs (as Plinkett points out). While I agree with Plinkett that the first was entertaining, I thought the second (Into Darkness) was terrible.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

mirth

Quote from: RooksBailey on August 10, 2015, 07:58:58 PMI would love for him to take apart Prometheus.  That was Ridley Scott's version of the Star Wars Prequels. 

Amen brother.

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 10, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
You can all kiss my hairy arse!  As a Trekkie from the TOS days I think the rebooted films are brilliant.  And it hasn't escaped my notice in other threads that a lot of you seem to want a "Star Trek war film".  Pfft.  Now that would be pissing on the franchise. :P

Brilliant is a stretch and I liked the first reboot.

It's really hard to defend Into Darkness. It wasn't very good, Trek or not. The pieces were there but it didn't happen.

Nefaro

It's difficult to defend the second one because it outright pillaged chunks of the plot from the best ST movie ever made and reinvented it in a worse way.

I dig the first of the new ones but I didn't appreciate them screwing up Khan, which was about the only one I really liked of the all the earlier ones.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on August 10, 2015, 09:39:54 PM
It's difficult to defend the second one because it outright pillaged chunks of the plot from the best ST movie ever made and reinvented it in a worse way.

I dig the first of the new ones but I didn't appreciate them screwing up Khan, which was about the only one I really liked of the all the earlier ones.

Yeah, that was my take on Into Darkness, too. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway