Main Menu

The Prisoner

Started by besilarius, September 02, 2016, 06:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4eUSmUWsUY

For those of a certain age, the Prisoner was always put on in re-run at the end of summer.  Late 60s and early 70s it was always on.  And the bad thing was the final episode, with the reveal, was always scheduled for the first weekend of college.  If you lived in the dorms you missed that episode.
Here is a new intro to this Klassik.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Didn't the bizarreness of The Prisoner's final episode just recently come up on these forums?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Yeah, but it's British so 'bizarre' is automatically assumed in that case. If the Prisoner had been done in America, it would've been about a guy who breaks into prison to get his falsely-accused brother broken out. Like that would ever work on TV huh?  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 02, 2016, 10:07:55 PM
Yeah, but it's British so 'bizarre' is automatically assumed in that case. If the Prisoner had been done in America, it would've been about a guy who breaks into prison to get his falsely-accused brother broken out. Like that would ever work on TV huh?  ::)

What? The only way that'll work as a series is if the brother has to break into prison more than once and the audience would see right through that as a plot-stretch device. It can't be done.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Then after failing as a series, the principle actor and one of the secondaries would go on to play... I dunno, a freaking live-action Captain Cold and Heatwave.  :P

Because American TV is like that. We're likely to cast a former Doctor Who as a guy with birdpoop on his head who plays with rabbits, and another one in unrecognizable makeup and language as a space dark elf for a Thor movie.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 02, 2016, 08:13:13 PM
Didn't the bizarreness of The Prisoner's final episode just recently come up on these forums?

It did!

I've read from several interviews that McGoohan did originally have a final story planned, back when he thought the series would only be 6 or 7 eps, where #6 (whom he and the writers did regard as Drake from the Danger Man / Secret Agent series and called him that to each other during production) reveals that he has been gaming the system the whole time: his resignation was a sham (though he didn't tell anyone because he didn't know who he could trust) to provoke his capture so that he could locate the Village and either destroy it from within or escape to bring the true authorities down on it. He had heard rumors of the Village's existence, and felt responsible for it because he had written the original plan for it as a retirement home for agents (including defectors) so that their secrets could be protected, and he was pissed that his benevolent idea had been so badly perverted. That's why he himself would be revealed as #1.

But by the time the end of the series had come along, McG and the other writers under him had played around too much with the secrecy and hidden plot things so that the originally planned ending wouldn't possibly make sense anymore. Thus his scrabble to come up with an ending on short notice, which he had been putting off while digging himself deeper and deeper into a plot hole.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!