The Duelists

Started by Jarhead0331, January 11, 2018, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2018, 06:44:11 PM
@ Nefaro: Barry Lyndon. Another great movie...even better than The Duelists.

That's the one!  :bd:

Jarhead0331

The actress who plays Nora Brady in Barry Lyndon was also in The Duelists two years later.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

besilarius

A rumor that's been kicking around forever is that Kubrick had almost an hour of combat for Barry Lyndon, in the can.
Due to story line, he had to reduce it to just two short sequences.
Have always wondered if there is a can of film in a vault somewhere with all that great fighting.
Probably turned to confetti by now.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Nefaro

Quote from: besilarius on January 11, 2018, 09:00:17 PM
Probably turned to confetti by now.

Or ended up in some odd place.

Like what happened to the original film for Event Horizon.  Which was found in some abandoned storage cave in Romania about 15 years later, or some weirdness thereabout.   :crazy2:

JasonPratt

^^ That seems appropriate.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Should've left it there.  L:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Emeraldlis

I'm gonna have to have a browse on amazon prime , the Duelists sounds like an interesting movie :) Both great actors as well ! Thanks for pointing this movie out Jarhead  O0

Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2018, 07:23:29 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 11, 2018, 06:44:11 PM
@ Nefaro: Barry Lyndon. Another great movie...even better than The Duelists.

That's the one!  :bd:

This sounds great too ! Soon as I read Irish nobleman , my inner history nerd sat up and took notice  :nerd: gonna have to see if I can find this one as well , great recommend Nefaro  O0 And I never got a chance to say thanks to you for recommending the post image website to me ! I use that site all the time now for posting pics here on the forum ...thanks Nefaro  :bd:
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Nefaro

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 12, 2018, 01:21:24 PM

This sounds great too ! Soon as I read Irish nobleman , my inner history nerd sat up and took notice  :nerd: gonna have to see if I can find this one as well , great recommend Nefaro  O0 And I never got a chance to say thanks to you for recommending the post image website to me ! I use that site all the time now for posting pics here on the forum ...thanks Nefaro  :bd:

You're welcome!   :bd:

Barry Lyndon is a great movie.  I need to watch it again, too.  Been awhile.

mirth

Did a 7-day trial sub to the Tribeca channel on Amazon Prime so I can watch it this weekend.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on January 12, 2018, 04:48:22 PM
Did a 7-day trial sub to the Tribeca channel on Amazon Prime so I can watch it this weekend.

The Duelists or Barry Lyndon?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on January 12, 2018, 09:20:20 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 12, 2018, 04:48:22 PM

The Duelists or Barry Lyndon?

Dueiists for sure.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

Don't discount Barry Lyndon!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

Quote from: Gusington on January 12, 2018, 09:59:59 PM
Don't discount Barry Lyndon!
Yeah you should only pay Full Price for Barry

WallysWorld

Just finished watching it. Pretty good movie and certainly you can see how Scott tried to emulate Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon". Definitely had a great Napoleonic era feel to the movie.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

Watched about half of it last night. Will finish it tonight or tomorrow. Worth watching. Good period feel.