Main Menu

MSFS 2020

Started by Jarhead0331, April 04, 2024, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

We still have a couple of sim heads floating around out there and while many of us love to talk about DCS, there isn't much chatter about MSFS 2020. Although combat systems and advanced avionics are mostly omitted from MSFS 2020, I've been finding that there are some really top notch modules coming out lately that nicely fill in a void for DCS and some of these aircraft are really starting to reach DCS fidelity in a number of different areas.

I tend to buy the modules that interest me when they are not available on or planned for DCS. For instance, the Rafael by CJ Simulations, Concorde by DC Designs, F-111E by GKS, F-35 Lightening II and T-45C Goshawk by India Foxtrot Echo, Transall C-160 by AzurPoly, MV-22 Osprey by Miltech and many others.

Two upcoming modules that I am very excited about are the OV-10 Bronco by AzurPoly and the Tornado by India Foxtrot Echo. Both of these modules look fantastic and the Bronco has working weapons and i understand that the Tornado has a working terrain following radar.

In any event, just wondering if anybody else around here plays around with MSFS and whether there are any other module recommendations. There are some other really great ones that have cross-over with DCS, but like I said, I tend to focus those on DCS and not get them on MSFS too, unless they are reasonably discounted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

I just bought the Vulcan bomber in MSFS2020 and having a blast. It also has a reasonable pdf manual (I can never figure out how I should learn to operate the included aircraft without a manual).

I also have the Heatblur F-14, but as expected it is a bit boring when coming from DCS.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on April 04, 2024, 10:54:43 AMI just bought the Vulcan bomber in MSFS2020 and having a blast. It also has a reasonable pdf manual (I can never figure out how I should learn to operate the included aircraft without a manual).

I also have the Heatblur F-14, but as expected it is a bit boring when coming from DCS.

Yeah, the Heatblur tomcat looks exceptional, but I have passed on it so far since the version in DCS is so great and offers so much more. I've also held off on getting the Phantom in MSFS, which is also top-notch, since the module is so close for DCS.

You mention an important point about the manuals. One thing I do not like about MSFS is that most modules, as far as I know, do not come with interactive tutorial missions like you have in DCS. I really think these are critical to helping pilots get started. I wish there were good training missions out there for the MSFS aircraft. This will become increasingly more important as the aircraft become more complex.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I fly a ton of MSFS2020, but I only fly GA and commercial airliners.  I keep the military stuff focused on dcs.  If there was a combat system in MSFS, I'd probably change my stance.

There is MSFS 2024 supposedly out this year which will add new stuff.  You guys might like it, looks like it'll ship with firefighting aircraft that have built in missions for it, rescue helos with built in missions for it. 

I'm perfectly fine with MSFS2020, perfecting my 737 / A320 flying is enough for me.

The "Beyond ATC" addon in the works is supposed to be the best AI ATC ever, but having real human ATC on vatsim is still the best.

ArizonaTank

I normally don't get excited by military aircraft on MSFS. But I have to admit the recent F-86 release looks very tempting.  Something about an early tech jet fighter.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

The timing of this post could not have been better. Total shit storm over at DCS with Razbaan aparently ceasing development altogether, leaving the future of several main modules in question...F-15E, AV8B, M2000, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: ArizonaTank on April 04, 2024, 03:53:21 PMI normally don't get excited by military aircraft on MSFS. But I have to admit the recent F-86 release looks very tempting.  Something about an early tech jet fighter.

I hear that the current F-86 is a "easy mode" plane, though. Supposedly somebody else has a more realistic one coming.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 04, 2024, 05:00:11 PMThe timing of this post could not have been better. Total shit storm over at DCS with Razbaan aparently ceasing development altogether, leaving the future of several main modules in question...F-15E, AV8B, M2000, etc.
Surely they are obligated to finish these modules or give a refund. What's the shitstorm about?

Edit: ignore this it's on the dcs thread.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

Quote from: Skoop on April 04, 2024, 01:59:08 PMI'm perfectly fine with MSFS2020, perfecting my 737 / A320 flying is enough for me.

But how do you do that without aircraft specific manuals? Are you just downloading Boeing's manual?

Skoop

^ The addons ship with their own documentation to get you started.  You could use RL manuals if you wanted, but YouTube seems to work the best.  There's real airbus and Boeing pilots that will do how to YouTube's in MSFS2020 for you to follow along.

DesertFox

Wow, I'm obviously behind the times...  Is there already another MSFS out?  I have the one that's just called Microsoft Flight Simulator and have been playing it for a couple of years.  I have a sweet hardware setup with a yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant but I don't think my PC can handle much more than the last MSFS.

I haven't messed around too much with additional modules, although I do own the full Deluxe (or whatever it's called) version with some additional aircraft and airports.
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

DesertFox

Also to add:  the one essential flight sim "extra" that I can't live without is FSEconomy.  It's kind of like a 3rd party "MMO" where you earn money for flying people/cargo between airports.  Adds an extra dimension to the game that gets you to fly some planes and locations you might not otherwise...  (ETA: it's also totally free and interfaces with pretty much every major flight sim out!)

I highly recommend it if you're into non-combat simming!
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual

Skoop

There's also the payware airhaler which does what fs economy does but you can build your own airlines.  There's a couple other payware addons that add a career experience.

Toonces

Desert Fox, you really should get a couple of modules.  The stuff that ships with stock MSFS is good, but some of the payware modules are amazing.  The PMDG stuff is unreal.

Never tried FSEconomy, but I did enjoy Air Hauler when I was flying MSFS.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DesertFox

Thanks for the tip, Toonces!  The stock stuff has kept me pretty busy when I have time for it, but I will look into what's out there.
-- Spartan Battle Manual