Ultimate General: Civil War

Started by Jarhead0331, November 13, 2016, 01:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAVA

Yea...

Looks like I should have never stopped by in the first place.

Have fun fellas.

RyanE

I played a lot of the Gettysburg game and found it a pretty good approximation of the battle.  Plus it was easy to understand, easy to play, and ran well.  It is easily my favorite civil war battlefield game.  I have UGCW, but haven't played it enough to make a proclamation.

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on September 06, 2017, 01:39:27 PM
I have UGCW, but haven't played it enough to make a proclamation.

Don't let that stop you! :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Quote from: LAVA on September 06, 2017, 01:17:44 PM
Yea...

Have fun fellas.

They're joking sarcastically with each other about crappy Civil War games (albeit fun ones sometimes) in the past, not mocking you thereby, nor mocking UG:CW. They're having fun competing on trivia knowledge basically.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 05, 2017, 01:12:12 PM
Quote from: bbmike on September 05, 2017, 05:37:40 AM
^The game that really represents a truly accurate picture of the Civil War era's warfare is still The Bluecoats: North vs South

I strongly disagree.  That would be this one...

Feh. For true gritty accuracy, you need to go back to text-based random number generation BASIC games that you typed in yourself. Such as the Civil War game found in the classic 101 BASIC Computer Games. (I typed that into our shop's KayProII, which was a portable computer with I think 16 whole kilobytes of memory, and took it to school to show one of my high-school history teachers once.  :coolsmiley: )

Good luck going farther back than a game originally written for mainframes in 1968.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 06, 2017, 02:24:05 PM
Quote from: LAVA on September 06, 2017, 01:17:44 PM
Yea...

Have fun fellas.

They're joking sarcastically with each other about crappy Civil War games (albeit fun ones sometimes) in the past, not mocking you thereby, nor mocking UG:CW. They're having fun competing on trivia knowledge basically.

Indeed.  You should never take us too seriously around here.  We enjoy having your input.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tuna

You guys are making it really hard to resist this one!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Tuna on September 07, 2017, 04:32:10 PM
You guys are making it really hard to resist this one!

If you're at all interested in the subject, you shouldn't resist.  I have some serious gaming ADD, but I've invested around 150 hours in this one, so there's absolute value for what you get.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tuna

Greybriar

With all the games on my To Play list, I really shouldn't buy Ultimate General: Civil War. But I probably will, even though I may never get around to playing it. :pullhair:

Thanks for the heads-up, Pete. O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Geezer

Great.  Was just going to get Space Tyrant.  Now I have to decide between the two.  NOT getting both.  Nope, not gonna do it.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd