Field of Glory II -- IMMORTAL FIRE

Started by Cyrano, November 21, 2017, 02:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Damn. Now I really want a Koalas vs Flaming Pigs game.  :-\
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

14.99! A little pricey. I do have my Matrix 5 year thank you coupon, however.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's 14.99 in Persian money. So......
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Philippe

I actually prefer the way the battles feel in Immortal Fire to the ones in Field of Glory II.  This surprised me, because I wasn't expecting to enjoy Marathon and Plataea, but they were fun.

I think my gripe with the Roman battles has to do with the artificial setup of the Roman units.  Big blocks of them are set up in a quincunx (checkerboard formation), and although the quincunx was used (and was the standard early Roman formation), it was used for maniples (160-200 men) rather than the large, almost legion-sized formations that FOG II uses.  I think the use of the quincunx leaked in from the 17th century game, where the large blocks of units set up in a checkerboard was completely appropriate.   If I ever get around to designing scenarios, my Romans won't be set up in a checkerboard.  Unfortunately my dance card is rather full right now, so scenario design for FOG II is next year's project.

Having said all that, if you liked basic FOG II, Immortal Fire is even better.  Probably worth the full freight, especially as there alrady seem to be some excellent user-made scenarios on the way.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

IronX

Quote from: Gusington on December 05, 2017, 10:49:00 AM
14.99! A little pricey. I do have my Matrix 5 year thank you coupon, however.

Will that work with Slitherine? I got one too and wanna pick this one up.

Edit: The coupon does work for Slitherine. Yay for multinational conglomerates! I was a little anxious, however, when launching the new add-on in that it couldn't detect the base game. It then dawned on me I bought the Steam version. Fortunately, Steam accepted the Slitherine registration code and all was golden.

Gusington

^Thanks for confirming 👍

So Immortal Fire is a standalone game? The original is not required?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

IronX

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 05, 2017, 11:37:19 AM

Just about 800 pounds of Umbrian Acorns

Grim.Reaper

Didn't think I would be on the fence for this...but haven't pulled the trigger yet.....not that $15 is a lot, just not my immediate purchase trigger...I am sure it will be purchased in the near future.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 05, 2017, 07:06:23 PM
Didn't think I would be on the fence for this...but haven't pulled the trigger yet.....not that $15 is a lot, just not my immediate purchase trigger...I am sure it will be purchased in the near future.

Same.

The new toys have built up to a critical mass lately, and I've not been playing any of them much. 

Will probably buy when I next go on a FOG spree, as opposed to buying DLC now and just having it sit around.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 05, 2017, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 05, 2017, 11:37:19 AM

Just about 800 pounds of Umbrian Acorns

I hauled in the acorns and went to war with the Lydians.  Fortunately the Persian Sparabatta infantry and Immortals were ranked pretty deep opposite the Lydian armored citizen hoplites and hit about a quarter of them with arrows before push came to shove:  Thymbra 547 BC -- a nerve-wracking battle and kind of the flipside of Marathon (Persians must win in the center or lose since the Lydian cavalry on the flanks is quite powerful).

jomni

Even if you don't buy, take note of the core changes in the game to address user feedback.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=80917