Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Civilization VII
Last post by Anguille - Today at 09:28:12 AM
Quote from: solops on Today at 07:39:07 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on Yesterday at 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps
Yeah, the game is not pretty but had excellent gameplay.
Computer Gaming / Re: New MMORPG: Pax Dei
Last post by Redwolf - Today at 09:03:26 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 08:01:30 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on Today at 07:44:11 AMI prefer that business model over microtransactions. Microtransactions screw up the in-game experience due to prominent item placement and the GUI with "purchase" buttons.

Still can't play, have to reinstall Windows because my newest backup is bad, the existing backup is too old, repair failed (as always).

The subscription fee isn't what caught my eye, it was more the fact people who invest in early access with non-founder edition will need to pay additional one time fee after early access if they want to keep playing.  But maybe the total buy-in cost will still equal what someone would have paid without early access or it will be extremely cheap, way too early to know since over a year a way:)

In any event, hope you figure out your issues, although these types of games aren't for me, interested in hearing feedback about them.

I think as the buyer of the current pack I have to pay the regular one-time fee again but I get to keep all the goodies I get extra now. Not that I had a chance to see how useful they are.

Support has replied with another set of instructions about what to do in the launcher, ignoring the fact that I can't install the launcher :)

Windows install ISO is asking for drivers but Asus is distributing the drivers for my chipset as *.exe files which won't be usable by the installer. It has been nearly 20 years since I reinstalled windows from scratch, I'm not used to these  shenanigans anymore. How can people use Windows for anything but gaming? This is like a game in itself.
Computer Gaming / Re: Universal Conquest
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 08:46:06 AM
OK, you convinced me...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 08:01:30 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on Today at 07:44:11 AMI prefer that business model over microtransactions. Microtransactions screw up the in-game experience due to prominent item placement and the GUI with "purchase" buttons.

Still can't play, have to reinstall Windows because my newest backup is bad, the existing backup is too old, repair failed (as always).

The subscription fee isn't what caught my eye, it was more the fact people who invest in early access with non-founder edition will need to pay additional one time fee after early access if they want to keep playing.  But maybe the total buy-in cost will still equal what someone would have paid without early access or it will be extremely cheap, way too early to know since over a year a way:)

In any event, hope you figure out your issues, although these types of games aren't for me, interested in hearing feedback about them.
Last post by Redwolf - Today at 07:44:11 AM
I prefer that business model over microtransactions. Microtransactions screw up the in-game experience due to prominent item placement and the GUI with "purchase" buttons.

Computer Gaming / Re: Civilization VII
Last post by solops - Today at 07:39:07 AM
Quote from: bobarossa on Yesterday at 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps
Current Events / Re: RIP The Great Willie Mays
Last post by Tripoli - Today at 07:32:12 AM
RIP  A truly great player
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 05:55:54 AM
Was just reading about their planned business model as I started to see some negativity about it.  They certainly have made people aware so it's up to the buyer to decide.

From what I can tell, if you buy the non-founder's edition of the game, your initial early access purchase only allows you to play the game until early access is over, which is estimated at June 2025.  Once out of early access, you must pay another one time fee and then after that a recurring subscription cost.

If you own the founder's edition, you won't have to pay the additional one time cost after early access as included in founder's edition, but will still be subjected to recurring fees after that.

I don't play MMO games so maybe this is standard operating procedure and only caught my eye after seeing some posts.  I have certainly seen games require a recurring fee before so no major news there, just not sure if I have seen the additional one time fee after you have already paid for early access.  Although the non-founder version is much cheaper (although still cost of a regular game $39.99) so maybe people think it's worth it as some kind of paid trial before going all in.
Computer Gaming / Re: Am I being unreasonable ?
Last post by devoncop - Today at 04:08:05 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on Today at 01:58:10 AMI haven't played FoG: Kingdoms yet but I definitely get what you mean about getting burned out or frustrated with a game.  Back when I played a ton of John Tiller games I remember having dreams about scenarios that were pissing me off.   :Nerd:

There's something to be said about playing a doomed game to completion, mainly that it helps you learn how the late game plays out so you're not just getting early-to-middle game experience. But if you're not having fun with it anymore I'd say just start a new one.

Yes Al

That approach is why I didn't as yet delete the file :-)

To be fair I may just play 5 or 10 turns a day rather than extended sessions and see if I get very lucky via the Royal marriage or some other event.
Ironically enough this morning after I posted my "ally" who had taken 3 regions from me during the coup under the pretext of "restoring order" stormed Leinster which my forces were besieging and promptly handed Leinster region over to me as a "symbol of our friendship" in the ultimate act of trolling me  :evil:

I do actually love the game but boy what a smack in the chops that coup was !

I know what you mean about being burnt out...I was playing about 12 PBEM's in Tiller games recently including really big campaigns and I am totally burnt out and have uninstalled the lot now the games have finished :-)
Computer Gaming / Re: Am I being unreasonable ?
Last post by al_infierno - Today at 01:58:10 AM
I haven't played FoG: Kingdoms yet but I definitely get what you mean about getting burned out or frustrated with a game.  Back when I played a ton of John Tiller games I remember having dreams about scenarios that were pissing me off.   :Nerd:

There's something to be said about playing a doomed game to completion, mainly that it helps you learn how the late game plays out so you're not just getting early-to-middle game experience. But if you're not having fun with it anymore I'd say just start a new one.